A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Traveling here and other misc first-day discoveries


my adorable, wonderful children waiting in Chicago

Hello, all! Thank you for prayers and encouragement as we undertook some SERIOUS traveling! We had good, safe travel! The kids and I were just so excited!! What a blessing to have the morning drive and lunch w/ my parents in Chicago!!!! On the drive to Chicago, I thought the speed limit was 70. I was doing about 67 for better gas mileage and staying w/ the group...when suddenly a state trooper overtook us all....and picked me. Apparently the limit is 55 there ;) I wish you could've seen his eyes when he asked where we were flying to out of Ohare when he found that was our destination - ha ha ha ha ha ha! He said "since you obviously can't make a court appearance, this is a warning." Going 55 after that, was really a traffic violation ;) in my very strong opinion! HA!
We had absolutely no problems getting all the bags checked in - a guy took pity on us in Chicago and worked very hard over phone, with a manager to make sure they could get Egypt Air to take our bags for us at JFK! and it WORKED!!
Good thing too, as we onlyhad 27 min to get from domestic terminal 8 to international terminal 4 with 2 VERY tired kids already, 6 heavy back packs and one stroller. We had time to hit a potty but not to eat.
The kids chowed down their beef jerky for supper and frito's for breakfast.
To say the international flight was long, is at best, a horrific understatement! I never ever want to do that again! But I will, to return to my family and the land that we love in 2 yrs....this is our home and our land for now :)
At Cairo Airport, a man had a sign for me but not a Mrs. Captn Rob, I cannot say I was "not" disappointed ;) HA! But when I saw him there, a 2nd burst of energy came (this post a lot of vomitting on the airplane and no sleep for me or Joshua). He spoke no English but we both understood "sign language" ha! ;) and were both very friendly. Not only did he go into the immigration type office (instead of waiting in line) and purchase our visas for us....but he showed his security badge, gave his cell phone to approx 6 different people and got us thru check points customs, etc without EVER stopping w/ the rest of our travel companions on the 767 WOW THANKS GOD!
Then....as we're trapsing out and I'm just looking, taking in the sites of the airport, outside, etc...what do my eyes glimpse? My beloved husband standing in line to get some gov't travel forms completed so he (as the pilot) could leave w/ his passengers for the day! I broke more social laws ;) yelled his name and ran to him!!
Why-el (said quickly like patio in Spanish) not wylie ;) met us (the manservant from my new friends). He and the cart boy I'll call him and my airport rescue man loaded up the small suv inside and top.

I was throwing up more by the time we got home and collapsing..it wasn't pretty and quite embarrassing! The landlord came to greet me and welcome me and I couldn't walk of my own valition - I must seek him out today somehow - NO idea what he looked like - blushing at admission.
If I weren't so insanel ill, I'd have so many photos to post of my capturing Cairo and Maadi - VERY interesting - TRULY! and really the Egyptian people have been SOOO great to us, even on the airplane (staff and other passengers).
Today is cleaning. and then hopefully before a week is out, unpacked and set up! Here's some interesting things about our apartment!!
Thanks for reading! Love from Maadi! Oh and as we say in Egypt..this place is Maya Maya (direction translation is 100%, but basically WAY COOL!). I won't lie and tell you that Joshua and I didn't sleep together all night crying off and on and praying out, reading the Bible at really hard times and vomitting some more just from stress.....but God's mercy is new every day..and as He is faithful...He is restoring us...everyday will prove more joyous and intriguing as we continue to trust in Him! All prayers continue to be grateful!!
Hmmmm...cannot figure out how to post pics...but I **will** no worries! Just I gotta be very careful which mountains I tackle, lest a molehill become one ;) Thx for your patience!! I admit to be diassapointed not to show you what I wanted to this morning! Perhaps by the evening here?
it's our "curtains" and windows, the bathroom and the "garbage dump" I think you'll also enjoy the view from my living room :)

2:15PM - we had gloriou naps! 2 more small rooms to clean now, wanted to get up some pics - takes quite awhile.

how do you take out the garbage? you gather it up, head for the kitchen and open this door.


then you just LEAVE it here on the "landing" and eventually it leaves...still scratching my head over it, but...it IS how it works :-)




this is what "windows" look like and this is the viewfrom the eating area. interesting plants and archictectue. To be honest, a lot of it reminded me of Mexico - especially he ceramic tiled roofs I see.



back to sorting - I'M SO PROUD OF THE KIDS!

and Joshua did nap in his own bed - he is not so upset today and not so afraid. Really the language seems quite "flat" in tone and then giving the "appearance" of aggression. with all the beeping, "flat talking" and etc thru the night, Joshua was quie scared. The sooner this is our "settled home" the sooner we can begin life and get more and more comfortable! God is abundantly gracious!

When my stomach is eased, I'll request a drive around to just "look" as was offered but even today I'm like NOOOOOO! not even an elevator, thank you! Oh, we have an elevator in our 'building' I'll get a post just about our home soon too.

Love,
Wendy

7 comments:

Char said...

Sounds like you had an amazing and rough journey to your new home. I'm sure that as you settle back into daily routines and create new routines things will get easier. I hope that you and the kids are feeling more rested after your travels, and that you are able to get some exploring in soon. Many hugs!

Jen said...

Thanks for a glimpse of your life so far! It sounds like you are handling it all like a pro - so proud of you! Continuing to pray for you all!

The Lopers said...

Hooray!!! YOu made it!!! One day at a time girl! How fun you actually got to see your Captain HOney the first day there!!! :o)

Trace said...

Ohhh Wendy I am so happy you made it!!! Thank you so much for posting pictures of your new home. It is Maya Maya!!!! I can't wait to hear more about it when your feeling better!!

Wendy said...

Enjoyed reading this so very much! :) Hope you are feeling tip top very soon. And, did you know Rob may see you there or was that a total surprise? When will he be back home...to all of you. :) Continued prayers!!

Anonymous said...

So neat to hear about your LONG trip and how you all are doing. Enjoyed the pictures. I'm praying for you all!

Betty said...

I was so thrilled to hear from and very sorry you got so sick. And poor Joshua, his fear :( I'm praying for him. the best thing to hear (for me ;) )... that you actually saw Rob at the airport!!!! WHATTA HUGE BLESSING!!!! God is good... or should we be saying Maya Maya now? lol ANYway, glad you arrived safely and are settling in with the help of some very kind people. lots of hugs girl!!!!