A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Nile Today! and chicken butchering

This intersection of 3 roads is a nightmare to cross, but I must in order to get to the markets :-) Today we were baffled NO TRAFFIC! dunno why! marusfsh! lol Anywho - I like the buildings - MANY are like this - obviously the streets came first ;) Just interesting!


Nope no photos of chicken butchering...just wanted to get your attention and be obnoxious ;) Just the way ya like it! lol No worries, Dawn and Melanie specifically YOU SWEET THINGS! smooches! I apparently came shopping too early today (noon) as the butchering was just being completed. I cannot bring myself to purchase a chicken 'fresh off the block' especially after "hand signals" were used to explain what was happening.....

lol

drat! no chicken the next couple of days - hopefully Th or Fri :-)

I ran into the Sisters today! They said the orphanage will be done in Sept or Oct. They were so excited I live near and still want to help. I told them I am still praying! Please pray too!! I know God has something more for me to do here....it's hard to wait to find out what ;) But also just pray for their work! They speak NO English, mostly Spanish remember? and a little Arabic, our conversation had us laughing A LOT! Tho this time I did the kiss/hug thing w/o reservation since I knew what was going on - blushing. and lol

The "deli man" ;) at Abou Zeckry gave me a different type of cheese to try to today - Romy (Room - me). MMMMMmmmmMMMM a strong swiss but not as "tough" firm yes but not that tough if that makes any sense? I made toasted sandwiches with Egyptian wheat, Egyptian salami, Egyptian Cheese and turkey ;) of course they're reaised in Egypt too LOL. I asked him "how do you say turkey" and he said in his Arabic dialect VERY slowly with "playful" eyes

"Tuuuuuuurrrrrrkeeeey"

LOLOL

we both laughed. Turkey's are not native to Egypt, is my understanding...so there is no Egyptian word ;) Just dialect - lol

I am frustrated at how my language skills are NOT what I want them to be. My brain hurts from hearing English spoke in such strong NON Michigan dialects ;) mixed in with Arabic - these people are very intelligent to speak to ME! lololol know what I mean?

Jasmine is doing GREAT with school - thanks for asking! XO She **loves** having school every day instead of just a few days every week - ha! Only she wishes Miss Stacie AND me where her teachers! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawe! Hi Staci!!! We miss you!!! She also wonders when Isabella can come to play at our playground ;) HI ISABELLA (Pam and Analeese too!)

She is blowing through 5 yr old workbooks (at age 4) like there's no tomorrow...OH DEAR! lol we may tackle K by fall ;) She is eager to learn and to do it right...the ability to focus and concentrate astounds me! She's better than me at 29 ;)

I am disappointed in myself - I really am not enjoying homeschooling, I confess. It's not that I hate it...but today (day 3) I woke up dreading it - blushing now. It is ok and we will continue. Joshua is really doing MUCH better than ONE day of homework, SERIOUSLY!! BIG improvement ;) It has been taking 3.5 hrs. I usually need 10 min somewhere in there myself, so they run around in barefeet so as not to knock their teeth out slipping on our marble floors. Alas, when I was thinking and dreading homeschooling, it is not as bad as I drempt ;) Just I want more from myself...if it were easy, God would've have soil to to work on in my soul ;) So - I grow too!

Saw a bike stopped today and finally figured out the breaking system. See it? it's a pedal rigged on the center that you put your foot on. I found it interesting! Also, Jasmine was enjoying finishing the patterns I started today and then she put them from smallest to biggest...here she is showing off ;)






I went to a small bazaar for local people today, it was at our church. I had Joshua take a pic of Rob and I in front of the building itself. Worship is under the tent area. I don't know (yet) what goes on IN the building, all of the offices are on the 1st floor (2nd story) of our building where WE live. I purchased 3 potholders (HOORAY been needing those!) from "displaced Sudanese" - bless their hearts! :-( and a handmade table runner from a local Egyptian woman. I sewed some hooks on the back so I can hang it on the wall - help not be so drab here AND try to back off some of the echo/noise level! Every rug helps too :-)





HELLO AGAIN! we walked to the Nile, down it...met up w/ Thomas (Rob's American First Officer) and hung out....we're home..kids and men are showered up ;) The stew is cooking, some type of biscuit is in my oven - ha! it smells good tho!! Here's some pics of our walk...I hope you enjoy!

The hotel where Rob was....where Thomas has been since they got here! It is on the Nile on the busiest street - the hussle, bussel, noise and loud speakers from the mosques are INTENSE - no sleep! :-(


Jasmine doing the "I do **not** know this guy, I am **not** going to smile' whatever! cuz now she's bouncing balls thru the flat with Mr. Thomas! lol Poor first impression she makes.





these are seed pods in the tree - VERY interesting, eh?













Ok I messed up the pic order again - in one of these we're walking on a foot bridge (which YIKES can sometimes hold MOTORCYCLES and MOPEDS unexpectedly!! Anywho at the top, we saw the top of one of the giant ovens...see it? looks like a big ant hill or a smoke house from old American settlement days!

4 comments:

The Dickersons said...

Oh chicken butchering is great fun for the kids! We had chickens growing up...they flop around for a long time after loosing thier heads!

Tami said...

Wendy just loving the family picture with Jasmine. Kira does that same face. LOL I am really enjoying the pictures. Thanks for keeping us updated. :)
Tami

Heather said...

love all the pictures Wendy!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! Although I must admit the picture of Jasmine looking "somewhat angry" had me in a full belly laugh! haha Little 'attitude' already ;)

Keating Mom said...

Love seeing Egypt through your eyes!!! ANd I love seeing you make a home;) You are doing great! Homeschooling is a big adjustment- give yourself time :)