A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Going Banana's


**I somehow messed up photo placement..well...its just a tad off, I think you'll "get" it w/o me starting over, RIGHT?!


Oh people....oh man...I've now had THE best banana's EVER! I picked them off a tree and purchased them!

I

KID

YOU

NOT!!
tiona
how surreal, eh? :-) Nabbed some more big fresh carrots too! Found a 4-generational family living in a "hut" making handmade rugs - BOUGHT 3 OF THEM! :-) They piled them outside for me to look thru...here's the grandpa and grandson. Jasmine's is lavender and pink, Joshua's is black and red, I got a black one for the main area. Cotton, not the wool one's they're holding - I need washable one ;)
Joshua noticed I gave him too much, wondered if the man could count money. I told Joshua that what I gave that man will feed them tonight, but is only 50 cents to us!


Here we are visiting a building next door to look at a man's custom draperies. LOVE THEM! ordering them for Joshua today!!
Yes, marble staircase outside! Cool!



This is a tree very close to our building. I swear there's green beans growing on it!
Nope, not gonna taste them, sorry to disappoint! lol


Here are some photos from Street Nine - the dialect is so different I don't even know how to TYPE what I'm saying in Arabic! lol ShaayrrdahTessa :-) No, these cars aren't parked...this is what I must cross! :-) Add a donkey cart, a stroller and some kids and you'll get an idea of what it USUALLY looks like, the donkey just passed when I clicked. a donkey cart is smaller than a vw beetle.




I had to show you Abou Zekery's - this is the little market I'm enjoying fresh meat/cheese. Abou (think of sneeze achoo only a b aboo) means father. I saw the twinkies and almost choked on my nestle water! had to take a photograph for some dear twinkie fanatics! see some doritos and lays too? And then just a market vender w/ the fruits/veggies..I got some there today, just "behind" it is "moody" and his place has the kitchen where I purchased. The shops are so small, I leave the stroller outside, sometimes w/ the kids too! I also purchased a table lamp and bulb for $1 today at a street vendor. MADE IN CHINA! lololol



Interesting Egyptian tidbits today....

If the government gives you a free education, you give the government free military years! And we found a public school today, the guards did NOT like us stopping to look...interesting??

While attempting to go into a market, everyone's looking at me like "crazy white woman" and then a man pointed up to a sign (written in Arabic) and tells me "dees is out, dees eez not in"

HA HA HA HA HA! oopsie! I apologized in Arabic, he says "Oh, Arabic?" I said in Arabic 'yes, a little' and he said "COME IN!" aaaaaah! shookrun! (thank you)

This morning, Wy-el took us 3 to get the 5 pkgs I sent myself - seriously...did you know that I can probably understand ANY language on the planet when THIS is being said...

CRAZY AMERICAN WOMAN!

what a "trip" that was! Praise God for Wy-el!! I only wish he would accept tips..or at least hugs! ha ha ha ha ha! There is no transracial integration of families here that I have seen yet. Today going to the post office, was VERY busy intersection. it was a roundabout - here they're called "squares" and we had to cross it. Wy-el grabbed the children's hands and I went behind them..and we JUST WENT!! and people kept stopping to ask him and he'd have to explain it all...BECAUSE OF THE ASIAN CHILD! seeing Wy-el with white people is nuttin, but him with white and a Japanese girl? I got that today "where get Japanese girl?" I said "I am mother?" "how you mother?" I grabbed them both and said "I am mother" and still the confusion - I know not how I get Japanese girl!

lololol

but it's definitely a point of conversation and confusion! ha ha! but it's fine, no one is offended, just overly curious!

Gotta get dinner on the spit.......I took recommendations and so we're having rabbit! I've eaten enough squirrel that this doesn't bug me - don't forget I grew up on a farm! ;)

without a pic, I thought you might not believe me!! ;) hope your stomachs are still intact!

Love,
Wendy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Wendy, am enjoying your posts. However, because we have a pet rabbit at our house, I cannot share this with my children! How was it, though?

The Dickersons said...

So I'm not sure that I'm more disturbed about the fact that you ate this thing with it's face still on or that you've eaten many squirrels!

Anonymous said...

Wendy I LOVE the snack aisle pic!!! LOLOL!! It's so "you"!!! I actually saw one box of swiss rolls down in the right corner next to the "Borios" (Oreos)... check it out!!! ;) I also love the enjoyment you're getting from communicating with the people there... it's wonderful... who says you have to understand the language to appreciate others? You're doing GREAT girl!!!! oh and about the wabbit... a little yuck, but I've had it and liked it. Did you? more later girl!!! smooches!!
Betty

Tami said...

Oh the horror. lol girl warn me next time that it will still have the head. YUCK Thanks for all the great info I am learning lots of cool stuff and sharing with the family.:)
Tami

Anonymous said...

LOVE all the pictures of your new place. It sounds like you are settling in. Too funny you found twinkies!!!

Love,
Tracy

Jen said...

You are braver than I...that pic is just... no words...where are my emoticon dudes? :-)

I love reading your updates! You are such an awesome woman and mama!

Heather said...

TWINKIES!!!!!!!! Ahhhh yes :) Pictures are awesome...and yes a little disturbing about the skinned rabbit...but didn't expect any less from you ;) haha

Jamie said...

I was coming to your blog hoping to find a picture of dinner all plated and ready to eat! You must share with us how it was!!!! Inquiring minds need to know! Hee hee

Mathematical Mama said...

I was waiting to hear that you responded, "Japanese girl??!! Where is a Japanese girl?" while looking around frantically :-)

I will forever have a picture of a truly naked rabbit in my head. Thanks. How do you cook something like that?