A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Now we have it! wait....no....we don't... :-(


Rob put Joshua's mattress in our room...took pity on the kid balled up in the corner last night. :-) We also ordered some "black out curtains" handmade from ceiling to floor for $35! I hope it helps. We also got him his own air purifier....I'm hoping when that's all set up, he'll agree it's time to go to his room...that's the deal (for now...sigh)


I am **so** thankful for a dryer!! I mean a washer, but they're common here in flats, a dryer is a RARITY! while I only dry towels from washer and leave the rest to hang, I love being able to do that! WC - thought of you...takes 75 min for one load of towels! YIKES! where's my HE stuff? lol


is this the COOLEST woodpecker you've ever seen? we saw 5 today and just enjoyed watching! I'd say it's smaller than the red-headed ones I've seen. But definitely not a small bird like a chicadee by any means.



Today was great to run our errands as a family. :-) We're still trying to get settled but taking it in stride so as not to be overwhelmed...but truly I'm exhausted EXHAUSTED every night. It's a good tired though....things are getting into place. I laugh because Rob seriously asked me WHY I wasn't starting school yet this week..and I said...when? between washing walls and installing a new stove? or between walking 30 min JUST FOR WATER?! ha ha ha! We're getting there tho. Everything takes so long, there's really no "running quick to the store" - we did that twice today, each time it took 3 hrs! ha!

The kids REALLY are enjoying it, we're staying low key and upbeat and just plugging along what gets done, gets done...yes this is still Wendy talking ;) Egypt has been good for me ;) We make time every day to sit and read together (a biography on Harriet Tubman "Minty") and play cards. Today was skip-bo, Sara S!

Today I had 3 successful conversations with non-English speakers and it did NOT involve handsignals....here they are...

First. I said (InArabic, not in English of course) Where is Street Nine, Please, Sir? to a military guard and I understood his response :-)

Second was with 3 men in a meat market - I came home with a RABBIT...no fur or guts...but head still intact! ;)

Third was to get help purchasing a microwave and watercooler

WE HAVE WATER FOR COOKING AND DRINKING READILY AVAILABLE AND ON DELIVERY REGULARLY! HOORAY!

oh, no, wait......the watercooler doesn't work! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Rob's Egyptian first officer said he'd call the place tomorrow and make sure they come fix it for me asap for free :-) HOORAY!

I actually - admit it - I cried when it sprung a leak :-( I was so hopeful for accessible water...I thought of so many people here...and the people in Haiti....not having water readily accessible the last few days has been hard, truly. But not unsurmountable.

Wy-el and John hooked up with us as we had full backpacks, full bags, full stroller and 2 kids. Wy-el is taking me to the post office tomorrow to get my packages I sent myself, he says "is very much for Madam, Wy-el can take"

GREAT! THANKS! :-)

I think his English is VERY clear and he cracks me up when he says things like
"the wind is too many" or "those rocks are too nice" meaning the wind is very strong or the rocks are very nice :-)

MY OVEN MY OVEN MY OVEN!! it has a SPIT in the center! I'm going to rub the rabbit with onions and pepper as the men described and put it on the spit. Wy-el says DELICIOUS! John and Rob were freaked. Rob stood still, almost horrified and said WHAT ARE YOU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOING WITH THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???

I said "I'm going to cook it!" :-)

Well, I asked them to help me w/ meat...they gave me something "easy" - roasting a rabbit....how hard can it be? ;) we shall see tomorrow!!

So, here's how I do laundry! Here's a pic of us walking today. John met up w/ us for awhile. I also got the kids 2 small soft balls to bounce at home, they're having SO much fun :-)

Wed, it seems that Anas (Egyptian first officer) is taking us to one of the Egyptian sports clubs - we'd like to join. It's not the same as Michigan. Maadi is more like NY NO place to go play. So for like $200 A YEAR! we join and the kids take swim lessons, join baseball teams, etc. They have playgrounds, etc you just go when you wanna play or sign up for classes. I am hoping to have them take swim lessons while I do my Arabic classes. I'll miss them doing it, but I think the break from each other will be good AND it won't cut into school time! ha!

The work week is Sun - Thursday. Weekends are Fri - Sat. Church is Fridays.

Today I signed up for Arabic lessons for 3 months - I need to secure a babysitter ;)

Anyway...here's the pics! Laundry and wandering :-)

questions about Joshua - his asthma remains UNCHANGED! I never thought I'd be so happy about that ;) He's still as bad as ever....NO WORSE! PRAISE THE LORD!!

questions about the weather - I gotta tell ya first off - our skin is SOOOOOOOOO nice right now!! I am not sure the skin on my hands or face have EVER been THIS nice!! :-) I may even be able to grow fingernails here :-) The weather is DRY DRY DRY...when the wind blows hard for long, you can blow sandcastles out of your nose and pick them out of your ears ;) Even going to the store, everything inside is dirty. I mean beyond dusty..but it's not "filthy" , there IS a difference, they DO work HARD to keep things clean but how can you w/ this much sand? this many people and so little space? So it's been high 60's, low 70's. Amazingly, the sun just feels nice...not burning intense (yet - summer shall soon hit).

The pic of us walking is to show you the painted tree trunks, the diversity of housing, the palm trees and just...HERE WE ARE! cuz I still don't believe it ;)

3 comments:

Siscos said...

RANDOM RESPONSES:

Yeah for Skip-bo, and Yeah for continual progress!

The work week change must be strange, but only slightly stranger than the rest of your adjustments, probably.

My youngest sister lives in California's Mojave Desert, and I've heard the dust/dirt distinction from her many times.

Finally, I'm glad you're being realistic about both cleanliness and scheduling. Time is on your side for once -- enjoy it!

Love & prayers to all!

The Dickersons said...

So happy to see the pic with Rob & the kids! I bet they're SOOO happy to be with him!

I had to laugh when you said Anas means first officer!!! I'd rather not be one thank you;)

Betty said...

LOVE to see the 4 of you together at last!!!! WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! and rotflmbo about Rob's reaction to the rabbit!!! TOO FUNNY!!! Did he like it? sending hugs again and praying for you all!!!