A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Commonly Asked Questions....

1. What is an Expat?
I myself had never heard this term until I started frantically researching moving to Egypt. This is what Wikipedia sums it up as....
In its broadest sense, an expatriate is any person living in a different country from where he or she is a citizen. In common usage, the term is often used in the context of professionals sent abroad by their companies, as opposed to locally hired staff (who can also be foreigners). The differentiation found in common usage usually comes down to socio-economic factors, so skilled professionals working in another country are described as expatriates, whereas a manual labourer who has moved to another country to earn more money might be labelled an 'immigrant'. There is no set definition and usage does vary depending on context and individual preferences and prejudices.

In Egypt, the Egyptians refer to any outsiders as expats. We are, then, Expats in Egypt.

2. Where will you live?
Rob moved into a 3 bedroom flat (apartment) today actually. We will be on the 4th floor of a cement building. We will live with Egyptians, yes.

3. Can you drive there?
If you're asking me - NO. You need to first ask - isn't Egypt an Islamic country? YES! So No - I cannot driver there, I am a woman! Can Rob drive there....yes...but..he needs to go through an entire drivers training, etc which I think all immigrants in the US should too! WILL we drive there - likely to say NO WAY!

4. How will you get around?
For two weeks - another expat family who has their own manservant and car w/ their contract, will be loaning that out to me to get settled. After that, we'll walk. Rob has his own car and driver for WORK purposes only.

5. Who does Rob work for?
Rob works for Edita Foods - google them :-)
His primary employer is the head honcho there - Hani Berzi. Mr. Hani.
His work will take him primarily to Greece, Italy and France but is not limited to it. He will also fly the other part-owner. Rob will fly for business and for their pleasure. No we are not likely to ever be invited...but one can dream ;)
Edita Foods is an Egyptian-based company. The contract is for 2 years. Either can request to end or renew at that time.

6. So will stay past 2 years?
Only God knows and it's foolish for us to ask God now ;) But you can ask me ;)

7. Where will the kids go to school?
Our awesome charter school has me set up to leave w/ a lot of materials to homeschool. I have shipped boxes upon boxes of stuff. Our fabulous preschool has given me the mental tools to get Jasmine through K as well. Joshua is on a waiting list to enter a Christian American Academy for 3rd grade. I will homeschool the rest of 2nd grade and am willling to tackle as far as I need to go. Rob's employer has agreed to pay for one student ;)

8. What are you doing with your house and your vehicles and your stuff?
Our stuff is mostly boxed up and in our basement.
Our home will take residency by a friend soon.
Our vehicles are going into storage at my parents home.

9. Do they even speak English there?
You mean Ingleezie? :-) Yes, in the more business-type world as English is basically the business language of the world. But for what we'll do as living w/ the Egyptians - not as much. I have been taking some cd courses every day and will continue to learn. I know some basics and plan to remember I am their guest and will enjoy getting to know the culture and plan to be fluent before the end of this year. That is my goal for Joshua and I. I hope Rob and Jasmine will follow suit ;)

10. Are we safe there? YES
Well, we've got a lot going for us! American's are toursits there as well are Europeans and me with the kids....we really look non-Egyptian ;) Rob's another story of course. Anyway, yes. The laws to protect us are VERY strict! Can I share the gospel of Christ - yes, ONLY when the door is open. Can I be killed for my faith - come on, you know me, I'm not gonna stand on the street corner shouting turn or burn - we're fine! We'll register a lot of information w/ the Embassy there and they'll notify us of any anti-Christian or anti-American demonstration locations/times. Don't cringe - you're an American - do you not value freedom of speech? ;)

11. When are you leaving?
Feb 3rd. Today is the kids last day at school. Tomorrow is giving the rest of my food to friends, washing clothes and sitting around watching movies, cleaning the fridge, eating out ;)

12. What can Joshua eat there? We have packed so much food and Joshua-friendly soaps, etc.....your eyes would buldge at my suitcases ;) We'll be fine! I have 12 month supply of his meds and God has given me peace! We will figure it out.

13. How are you getting there?
Leaving Feb 3th at 5 am from the house,
Nabbing my parents for the drive to Chicago, IL
Chicago to NYC (JFK)
NYC to Cairo
We'll arrive Feb 4 and 7 am Michigan time.

Check back often! I'll let you all know about the flight there! Please be sure to pass this site along so others can enjoy! it will be impossible to share personally with all of you I love and cherish...for now...this is what we've got!

4 comments:

About this blog said...

Yeah!! Great info. Only a few more days and you will be together again!!! I'm so excited for all of you!
Praying for you all!
Erica

Lori said...

Excited for all of you! What an amazing door that has been opened and what a journey it will be! Lots of prayers for all of you!
Lori

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you too! So excited as you look forward. Praying for you as you go through goodbyes.
Hayley

Jamie said...

I am still in shock! I love your blog and read all of it while I lay here in terrible pain! Through everything that has been so crazy in life I missed a friend moving half way around the world! Seems impossible that you are no longer 21/2 hrs. away! I am praying for you and will very often I hope this adventure is a true blessing for your family! All my love and prayers, Jamie