A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Church in Maadi

So often, I feel inadequate to put my emotions into words. I wish there were words reserved for God, some words reserved for extreme situations and I wish I could use paint like some...so we can actually see how something made you feel.

I feel inadequate quite often to convey, with words, what I'm thinking or feeling.....but I feel so inadequate tonight, I almost think I should say nothing at all lest I diminish so greatly it's pratically a sin ;)

Where do I start?

Leaving the building and seeing a doubling of the guards on the street.....and all congregated to walk laps around the church w/ clean uniforms and guns read?

Or do I start by telling you that never have mismatched, broken plastic yard chairs under a dirty canvas been so comforting and inviting!

Perhaps it's the astonishment that while I've been part of church congregations where we WANT to integrate peoples from all walks of life...I have now been to a congregation from all walks of life....

Sudanese refugees
Korean expats
Thai expats
Texas Transplants (lol)
Swiss explorers
S African teachers

Truly....one nation under God. nation...gathering of people for one common purpose....under God.....to be under His reign.

Unspeakable "awe".

Perhaps the next thing is to tell you that organs and bands ain't got nuttin on 4 untrained people singing w faulty equipment with guitars while fixing them.....just...JOYOUSLY SINGING....

no worries for wealth or language or

just...the lack of "American pressure" suddenly I felt "lighter" and I felt "convicted" as the American too.......

song hit me in a way - "while I am waiting.....yielded and still"

how often am I doing and going and wondering why I don't see change? But the clay does not resist the Potter..it waits...it's yielded and still...

may I be like this in Egypt...and return!

I'm not doggin on American churches or Christians in America - there's nothing wrong with aesthetic beauty, but long have I wondered if we put too much into decorating to make people feel "comfortable" when all that work makes outsiders feel "unwelcomed"

just made me think....and again, I feel inadquate to explain how I feel so if I'm coming off wrong, just remember I did say that on the onset ;)

Both the families who introduced themselves gave me their cell numbers and just said "oh call us!" They're having something on Tues morning for women....I plan to pop over, see if there's any homeschooling families in the congregation.

I also spied the principal of the school where we were interested to send Joshua if God opens the door.

Alright...back to regular programming.....

No comments: