A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Egyptian Pounds




Hello! A little cultural lessons today :-)

First, NEVER use the long "ee" at the end of the word when speaking to a man, that is the feminine form. Today I asked a man how SHE was doing - ha! He was gracious, I made many men laugh! :-)

I'm still surprised at how I'm like the ONLY white woman?! however, even Rob noticed shockingly the better care we get ;)

They have PAPER coins. What does that mean? Well, they have coins yes. The silver edge is a pound (say dollar). LE Egyptian Pound. The others are half a pound (they say fifty) and the small one is one. One what, I don't know - basically a penny if you did a literal carry over.

So I got PAPER coins and was all messed up today buying a fitted sheet. Nope, fitted sheets are not the way to sleep here. It's been a chore securing them :-) Finally even Jasmine has one now! I thought I had 5 pounds not five "cents" ha ha ha!

I took some photos of some money. As you can see, on one side it is Romanized lettering/numbering so I "sorta" know how much it is, tho I have to figure out pounds vs. piastres (pea ah streeez). (dollars vs cents)

I'm not sure my explanation made sense - oh well - I found it interesting today! We did not get to the Sports Club because Anas does not feel well. I think he is not used to working these long hours ;)

Anas, is pronounced like the a in Maria. His name is NOT a body part ;) Tho Melanie made me choke on guava juice this morning!

Two thumbs up for the rabbit!!! But it's not much meat for the price :-) OK here's today's photos!! Happy looking!!





2 comments:

Heather said...

thanks for the lesson in money today ;)

Betty said...

Don't you love the look of foreign money? It's so colorful compared to ours... and the art is so intereting too. But my favorite pic... THE FOUR OF YOU TOGETHER!!!! :D grinning from ear to ear here girlie!!! have another good day and wave to the colonel for me will ya? LOL ;)