A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Ash Wednesday!

We enjoyed studying and praying during the Bible lesson today.....our own Ash Wednesday. I trust you fellow believers were able to take time to remember....mourn the sin of the world and rejoice in the One who saves us!

((hug))

I drank Egyptian coke.

I'm not sure I need to say more, if you could hear my tone when I say it and see me. I'm not sure if there's cocaine in (totally joking) or if it's simply that there's quadruple the amount of caffeine!! I have been so sick ever since.....

So today was school....and tonight Rob took the kids for a walk so that I could wash dishes in peace - ugh washing dishes...I'm such a spoiled American stay at home mom w/ a dishwasher!!!!!!!!!! standing on my feet at night just ICK! ;) but if we don't, we could have rodent problems or bug problems...

typically they are one in the same - BUT....if it's bigger than my palm, IT'S A RODENT! The only cockroach that size I've seen was outside at the market - it was all I could do not to act like a silly American girl! lol

More interesting facts, at least to me ;)

We have a BRAND NEW top of the line stove!! VERY nice! however...there are no "insulating" standards here...so...like...DON'T TOUCH!

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowch! I'm just glad I'm the lucky sucker who figured that out last week and not one of my darling kiddo's!!!!!!!!!!

We finally turned the A/C units on today - just because I was so ill tho - low blood sugar issues, tummy trouble, migraine headache....

we really haven't used them except in Joshua's room at night

JOSHUA'S SLEEPING IN HIS OWN ROOM FOR 3 NIGHTS NOW!! no panicking!! no waking up!! PRAISE THE LORD!! But.....he cries once every day and we just hug and hold onto each other.....he misses Armin something fierce - his very best friend for 3 yrs now! He aches for all his friends and familiarity of our home in Michigan and our large yard...etc.....but he will just stop and really loose it over Armin. For writing every day, he is working on a letter. I typically cry quite hard whenever he lets loose. I miss sooooo many sooooo deeply! It is hard to explain unless you've been a missionary or done some type of int'l work like this.....but 2 yrs means people move on...when we return nothing will be the same...

while on one hand, that's what we WANT for us..to grow and mature...and for you all too...but....one of my dearest and oldest (in years known) friend is a missionary and I know she faces being gone.....

well all of you know I have never been trendy anyway! ha! I won't miss much then, eh? EXCEPT ALL OF YOUR SMILES! HEARING ALL OF YOUR STORIES!! WATCHING YOUR CHILDREN GROW!

I REALLY MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok sorry, nuff rambles!

Rob got the membership to the local sports club. It's probably where he walked the kids to. I have *no* idea how to get there! ha! Teaching all morning, making lunch then going to the market is a VERY hard day...I kid you not! So on top of it, trying to figure out HOW to get to the sports club in the day light sometime just for practicing w/ Rob seems daunting! **but** the getting out is important...I'll figure out how to shop less often...maybe get down to every 3 days soon and that'll help!

Tomorrow, if my tummy and migraine are settled.....we're taking a sailboat on the Nile. I'll cook some chicken fillets (**never say chicken breasts here - the B word is on "the list" tee hee) and slice then cool...we'll eat those with chips and water bottles as the sun sets on the Nile tomorrow! We invited Mr.Thomas - SUPER nice guy!!!

But.....instead of being offered a contract to stay for 2 yrs as back up in case one of the pilot's is ill....he's being sent home Friday. We're sad to see him go..but I know his family is desperate to see him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He too is a furlough Net Jets Pilot...he returns to no job....

PRAISE THE LORD FOR A SWEET HUSBAND! he knows how hard it is to work the market...so he did my shopping today! took him 2 hrs w/o the kids - I was impressed with him!! He said everywhere he went, they all knew who he was, asked if I was sick or where I was ;) and told him what I needed! HA HA HA HA HA!

love this place - WISH YOU WERE ALL HERE!!

The kind of community shown by the majority of people is truly astounding!!! The way with which everyone takes responsibility for everyone around them is humbling!! People will lend a hand and not afraid of being berated or "interrupting" their routine.....people will re-direct or guide me if they see I'm doing something wrong in the street or what not.....they beep CONSTANTLY when driving..and you look at them and you know it's just a "hey, I'm here, careful!" or "can I squeeze between you on this 2 lane hwy?" and they just beep and do it "yep, no problem, man!" ha! I still worry about the donkey carts and women with large "head loads" eek!

Until tomorrow...

Mahsehlemah!

Bahdeen, Inshalla!

(good bye! later, God willing)

4 comments:

Heather said...

praying your tummy troubles and headache calm and disappear :(

Miss you too Wendy girl...and I think it's quite humorous to say that since we've never "met" in person and now I'm following your every move LOLOLOL!!!

Big hugs to Joshua!!

Heather W. said...

sorry you aren't feeling well! How often is Rob able to be home with you? I'm praying for you and the kids. Hopefully, you'll get into a routine that feels good. It must be so hard. I really enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for sharing with us!
Heather W.

Tami said...

Praying for your tummy & head. I miss you like crazy today. Just wishing I could pick up the phone and talk. I am telling you now girly I will NOT move on you are stuck with me as a friend for life girl. :) HUGS & SMOOCHES
Tami

Cheryl Elmer said...

Hey, Wendy. Hang in there. It does get better. My first time out of the states was 5 years with no return at all (and no email, cheap phone, etc.). I understand how you feel and I will pray. You nailed it when you mentioned that friends moving on--that was my fear,too. But you know, some friends are so faithful and great! You don't go back to the way things were, but you will have gained so much and will eventually make some great new friends. Bonding with people overseas seems to somehow happen deeper and faster. God bless!