A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Our first day "out and about" (long & pics)

What a WONDERFUL day! I finished cleaning the kitchen - I know it's not huge, but it was FILTHY inside and out. LOTS of things to wash, scrub, etc...i tried to take it little by little - well I discovered the wretched smell that still lingered - eeeew!! more on that later.

So we played cards last night after I made supper - I made our first meal finally! Egyptian potatoes have a much thinner peel (and MUCH MUCH more dirt - ha - they do NOT get cleaned), they seemed much harder and a bit more yellow than the russets, but seemed to cook and taste the same!
I topped mine with Danish (sorry, not Dutch as I told some of you) butter. It looked like 16 oz of cheese and was VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY dense. BUT MMMMmmmMMM! The kids reall REALLY scarfed down their dinner, meat was "beef minced" :-) I made burgers, topped with rosemary.
We went to bed around 9. At 10:30, Joshua was in a total meltdown again as a lot of vehicles went by honking. He is so freaked out, it's true terror.....I'm 110% alert at this...but he calmed w/ prayers...he was hyperventilating so I did his inhaler and he came to bed w/ me again. He woke me only 3 times asking what this or that was. But we were both able to go right back to sleep. At 7:35 a crow-type noise wakened me, I was shocked how long I slept SOOO THANKFUL! I woke the kids at 8:45.

Jasmine's VERY content in her new Strawberry Shortcake bedding that daddy got!
THANKS ROB!




Joshua is VERY content in MY bed ;)

He really REALLY loves his spiderman set...but the anxiety over his light sleep has proven a struggle, but I'm so glad we already had improvements last night! I'm not sure WHERE Rob will sleep? spiderman bed probably! ha! I'm sure he's scowling at that. ;) He'll return Sun night and leave Mon for a bit.



I really think the creamy colors Rob chose are wonderfu! And the fluffy blanketwill be great NEAT winter ;) for now, I'm blazing hot all night..so today, I got both Joshua and I fleece blankets so maybe if he's not so temp off and on, he'll be more comfy to sleep too! I also got smaller pillows today...ha - that pillow is bigger than Jasmine!

OK so here's about the "window coverings" in the bedrooms. They are wooden, seem to be maybe TnG like flooring perhaps? well you can shut them all the way or let it cracks of light. They are on the OUTSIDE of the windows but there's a "wick" type "rope" on the inside. Interesting...thought I'd share. :) oh and full sun, if these babies are shut - it's dark as night! :-) looooove that! now to teach the large pretty birds to wait until mine are OPEN to sit and sing to the Lord!



Now for some potty talk ;)
My first shower with shampoo/conditioner and a razor was a true treasure today! I also found out if you relish your hot showers for too long, they become cold showers. ha!

We have two bathrooms. One is not a full bath - wanna know why it's not? cuz it's missing one of these!

No, Jasmine, it's not a sink "just right" for you and no Joshua, it's not where boys go pee and yes people, while I demonstrate....Iused a towel 3' up not a person HA! I was just so glad we have toilets to sit on and hot water in the bathroom, I could care less about the other additions - ha!


Today,I walked down to the door man in the lobby (guard, not sure what he is?) I found out 2 things - he is the one who tried to help me when we arrived an he was OH SO HAPPY to see me out, it touched me how he lit up and said "glad, glad" :) He looks to be late 40's. Anywho - I know more Arabic than he knows English so we all know what that means right? ha! pointing! I pointed upstairs, smiled (hoping it didn't seem scary - ha!) and motioned for him to follow. He jumped up, got the elevator for us, but then shut me in and took the stairs - lol. Anywho - I motioned him in all the while saying minfudluk (please Sir) and motioning to follow me. I left our door open w/ Joshua in the entry to keep the "neighborhood wildlife" out ;) He was so nervous...and I wish I knew "his" name - anywho - I pointed to the kitchen sink and made some handmotions which he said a bunch of stuff in a hurry and jogged out. I scratched my head..then hear 'madam! madam!' so I open the door...there he is with another man and a boy maybe 14. I said hello, welcomed them in..they stayed..so I stepped away from the door and pointed...they nodded and took care of it. The boy helped me w/ some things while his (I assume father) fixed the sink COOL! MAYA MAYA!

We went for a walk this morning, Yrene (Irene) was unsure if they could come today. Wy-el saw me and 3 cars went by, but I recognized him and went right for the suv. I felt so good to recognize someone! Anywho - here's some photos outside our building, our street (Shaydah)our neighboring wildlife ;) and Jasmine in our entryway by the doorman. AND the 3 of us at the MALL!!!!!! Wy-el said we'd better drive to the mall to the 'big' store so I could get many big things. He will take Rob and I to Radio Shack later for more purifiers and back up room lanterns (it's common to lose electricity for hours on end) (tanya, lose, right? not loose miss ya)
Wy-el waited outside, Yrene and baby Joseph (at 6 mo, he reminds me of Makayla S!)

Enjoy the photos!! This is all still Maadi. Wy-el enjoyed telling me of the history and explaining about the crescent moon for Islam - he learned a new word (crescent) tho I didn't explain rolls - ha!

The mosques are STUNNING!! I asked him if he understands "protestant" he made a cross with his fingers and I said "yes, cross" and he said "yes, ok" so I told him protestants could learn some architectural styles and benefit ;) He was surprised I thought it "maya maya" I told him that God made us gifted and I appreciate that! he gave me a look then turned quickly away..

oh...we discovered today that if I (a blonde fair skinned) female am in front, the military never checks us :-) Mexican Yrene in front, they check and even try to talk to her ;) poor girl! but that was fun today! The driving did NOT make me sicker! OK, shut your yap, Wendy, on with more photos!!

The family room. LOOOOVE the accent wall! :-) :-)



peeking into the tiny but adequate kitchen. They have hinges to bring up more space, along with a glass-covered stove intended for more counter space. CHECK OUT THE EGYPTIAN CARROTS AND ZUCCHINI!! The carrots are same consistency, not as sweet but much stronger carrot taste - VERY good! Mmmm I got some Egyptian cheddar cheese YUUUMMMY! the texture seemed like Mozerella, the color is tad more yellowy than creamy color. The flavor is sorta muenster maybe? anyway, just I liked it! i recommend it!





the landing outside our entry door on the 4th floor...then a shot from outside (see the neighboring wildlife? ha)




We can see this from our bedrooms and last night heard many worship songs in English..on our VERY short walk, I found out, it's the church I am looking into us attending! Maadi Community Church. I also saw a door in our building with a sign onit for the church. And found out that our building owner is also the owner of CSA (sorta like a YMCA here).


Oh and I've seen LOTS of Asian people here - Wy-el says they're Fillipino. Interesting!



we HONESTLY live in a very quiet, clean neighborhood- just having rich vegetation and sidewalks is HUGE! More wildlife....ha! I love kitties who aren't in my house ;)

The drive there and back - oh and by the way, we've seen donkey carts - on the highways.We've seen women with boxes on their heads...on the highways. I am so tempted to take a photo of the military guys, but they scare me! ha ha ha!

(Becky - Wy-el is married and looks younger than ME...you poor disappointed chica I mean emreekayah..ha ha ha ha ha!)





oh so when there is a crescent moon - it is a beginning of a new month, by Islamic calendar. NEAT information :-) so as Christians put a cross on top, theywill put a crescent moon, this is what Wy-el says to try to explain.



See, I'm a alive! This is a chaotic smaller version of Meijer (or Walmart, depending on your US state). Yrene had to quick snatch a pic but I think none of us were looking or smilie - ha! oh well...wanted you to see we're alive and outside of the store. I was stopped by security due to taking that photo! ha! no more in the mall! Market will be another day :-) lots of pics there too no worries!


just more pics - landlord just called me- WHEW, his English is AMAZING! He's sending 2 men over right now and wondered if it was good or should they wait - one will give me $ to give to the other who is to connect my new oven - only the stove top works. Just all so "different" and almost makes me giddy!

there's that dying-crow sound - appears to come from a bird not quite as large as our "farm crows" with a reddish brown neck and chest and head.....hmmm..interesing!

our street - very lush! palm trees right out front, LauriB and Sparty!
and, dad, I think there's live oaks all over?? quite lush, large and beautiful! in some areas they paint the tree trunks white.



definitely DEFINITELY people turn to look at me - I am surprised by the lack of fair-skinned people. not offended or weirded out, just...surprised! Yrene, poor Yrene it's hard for her, people assume too much ;) I am also tall here but not a giant. Being from a dutch community I never really felt tall...but here I just sorta am. Just sayin another observation ;)

well, I got the EL (egyptian pounds - money) and then just greeted the man to fix the oven. Good thing I'm done w/ this enormous post! So many of you are graciously curious..so I have to share what time and technology allows!

Love,
Wendy

6 comments:

Tanya said...

Thank you so much for this post! I laughed, I cried. Miss you so much but glad for the season God has brought you to for now. (and yes, lose!! I am proud of you :)) Carrefour was name the name of the big store in Brasil too. I thought it was neat to see in your pics. Looking forward to following your adventure!

Wendy said...

So happy that you are able to post here and share with us. Thank you for taking the time to do so. It's all so very interesting. I hope Joshua will soon be sleeping well!

Beth said...

Looks and sounds great! I'm laughing at the "no cameras allowed" sign above you head in the supermarket. LOL You all look great! :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

HI WENDY!!!!! sooooo good to hear your voice again... thanks so much for sharing all this in such great detail... really amazing. So funny that you were at Carrefour... years ago I worked for a company that did their advertising. Isn't that wacky??? anyway, great to get a peek at where you are now so I can picture you in an actual room in my head when you post, lol!!! smooches honey!!! praying for you all!!!
Betty

The Lopers said...

Soooooo cool!! MAYA MAYA!!

Just happy to see pictures. It looks beautiful! and WARM!!! :o)

The Dickersons said...

So happy to be reading your blog and seeing everything is going well! I'm only as far as the window shades so far but wanted to tell you that is exactly how they were in Germany LOVED them!!!! Oh to sleep at noon and never know it!!! Miss those shades!