A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Local Artists

Joshua (Rob drew on the "sorta" continents I WAS IMPRESSED!


Jasmine's


and some clay I found we had some fun with last night

Joshua's collection


Jasmine's trucks


fruit basket for my counter hand made by 3 women from Botswana

the kids room decor hand painted by an Egyptian - Jasmine's has photo frames - we'd sure LOVE 4 neat photos from MICH to hang up! :-)



and I couldn't understand if this is Serbian or Persian...it's a table cloth, but I'm going to hang it from a wall somewhere ;) handmade.....$40USD!
great to help the local economy AND help absorb some NOISE in here! lol


I also confess I am now a cotton snob. I have overcome my apple snobbish-ness and am eating Gala apples from Europe instead of the Fuji's from the US - lol

BUT....the Egyptian cotton blouses, pants, skirts I have...I'm not sure I"ll ever recover in the US to the icky blends there ;) I spend on blouses, pants about $18 USD each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON EGYPTIAN COTTON!

very airy
very soft
washing very durably too!

good thing I didn't bring many clothes ;) this shopping thing is fun - for those who know me well..know I don't spend $$ on myself ;) this is a real treat! I think I have enough clothes to make the usual 3 outfits/day in the heat with 4 days to go! LOL

Thanks for looking! oh one of my outfits is PINK! just wait...when we go SANDSURFING I'll wear pink for you girls! :-)

7 comments:

Heather said...

great job Joshua!!!!!! WOW!!!!! And Wendy, the paintings and tablecloth are beyong beautiful!!!!!!!! :)

I can send you a beautiful view of lake michigan for Jasmine ;) haha

HollyMarie said...

The cloth is beautiful! I can't wait to see you in pink! :)

Betty said...

LOVING all the art... Joshua did a GREAT job!!!! WTG dude!!! and wtg to Rob too... exploring his inner artist? 8-) cool. and where's the "Wendy art"? ;) heehee!!!

Bob said...

Hi Guys, The pictures look great. I'm glad that you're having so much fun. It's snowing today so it's quite different from where you are. Have you seen any wildlife yet?

Keating Mom said...

Great job on the art!! And did Jasmine write her own name??? Way to go!!!! Beautiful "things " you are finding. You know you will have to leave behind anything with a "made in the USA" label in two years, right?? ;)

Wendy said...

You are finding lots of cool items! :) Love the table cloth! Can't wait to see you in pink. :)

Stephanie said...

Hi Wendy,
I've just been reading through your blog and looking at the pictures. WOW what an adventure, but it look like your are taking it all in very well! Thanks for letting us see Egypt through your eyes! I love all your comments and observations.
Praying for you all,
Stephanie P.