A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Toilets, Taxi's and Taco's


Well I wanted some of my American food. So I'm making myself taco meat for supper and will put it on top of VERY yummy soft sandwich-type wraps :-) The food is bland, the texture different. I need to eat more ;) Oh boy oh boy the fresh picked strawberries keep my sweet tooth at bay - ha!

Toilets - some people had asked me to check out if they go "around" in the opposite direction. Well, the answer is this..it doesn't "go around."

The water level reminds me of a camper toilet - or airplane toilet.

Then when you PUSH the button in on the top - you select 1 (seriously) for just pee and then 2 (I kid you not)for anything extra - lol - trying to be kid-friendly. ;) Don't want any more "rabbit type scares" lol

When you push fo Number Two (lololol will I ever grow up?) When you push for Number Two, so much water comes from the front and the back that anyone within 6" will sucked down with it!

Living Conditions
To stay ahead of the dust - first, we NEVER open windows Second, I have been swiffering-type dealy almost every day an using a scalding-hot wet mop every 2-3 days,depending.

The smell here is NOWHERE NEAR WHAT I IMAGINED! I have not once smelled sewer! I have not once smelled overpowering b.o. (I'm sure summer months will differ)! It looks hazy quite often but not heavy....it's NOT as bad here as I imagined!

Cleaning products - it might say clorox and it might say Windex. But if you're an American..it is NOT clorox nor is it windex.

Clorox is a heavier spray, almost pastey and has a chemical scent - more like garage type smell than a bleach smell. Which is actually better for me - lol.

Windex is blue and leaves a blue film on papertowels, SKIN, etc. It washes off...but still...LITTLE FREAKY!

Truly our home is nicer and quieter than I imagined. We have not ONCE even run the a/c units! When the sun comes full blast, I put down the blast shields to leave 1 foot of open space at the bottom.

Lightbulbs burn out in a week or so here!!!!! YES A WEEK OR SO! Sunlight is the best answer - so the blast shields going top to bottom also helps w/ lighting :-) Keeps the sun out while letting some light sneak in :-)

Lightswitches in our home are toggle switches. flat plate rolls up and down, toggle switches. Push the top for off and bottom for on - COMPLETELY opposite of my American thinking - ha! I never know if I'm turning things on or off!!


Taxi

I need to figure out how to walk to the Maadi Mall. (don't think America here, people). But until then, I was getting a taxi to/from Carrefour today. We need some slippers, clothes bar for the small cubby to make a coat closet. Yrene called, wonderd what I was doing. I told her and she said she'd have Wy-el take us. So just a taxi on the way home.

*something new in the left column - sneak a peek at upcoming places we'll explore if you'd like*

9:06 am ends this portion of today's post

12:17 pm
well we survived the chaos of Carrefour....found a taxi...and lived to tell about it! HA HA HA! :-) He even carried our stuff into the elevator - so I gave him a bigger tip ;)

Yrene DROVE us there! I was so surprised! She said she isn't worried about it because she drives in Mexico City - ha!

Boring photo today - just me. Joshua took a pic of me before our walk this morning. The wrap was perfect. Then when I got warmed up, I tied it around me, it's not bulky or anything. Love it! Ack, I need a shower.....why shower in the morning? you're dusty and stinky by noon!

Church at 5 tonight. Will post again later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you put a picture of yourself! You look so good! I really enjoy reading your blog.

HollyMarie said...

Wendy, it's so fun to read about your experiences here. I'm glad you're such a diligent blogger because I look forward to these posts from Egypt. :)

CUTE pic of you!!! :D

Heather said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your posts!!!! Keep 'em coming! :) I love reading the "Adventures of the Expats living in Egypt" ;) Sounds like a good reality show hahahaha

The Dickersons said...

LOVE the wrap! You look like you belong there:)

Betty said...

OOO, I'm liking the wrap on you!!! Very nice!!! thanks for showing us!!! love hearing about your daily adventures in living as a TRANSpat... I'm not going to say EX... that seems too final, kwim? ;)
Later girl!!! ox