A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Maadi Sports Club!!

Good morning there! Good afternoon here!!

Asalam A'alaykum :-) Hello!!

**thanks** for those who encouraged me after I was so down yesterday evening when I posted....and thanks for praying! I feel *right as rain* today! It is 3:30 pm here, we are 7 hours ahead of you.

Today is "Friday" here - meaning, the last week day :) We completed one week of school w/o me using duct tape on the kids! HA HA HA HA HA HA!! Seriously, it did go well! Joshua likes to tell me "But Mr. Wright..or but Mrs. Bratt" and I sweetly say "but I'm not either of them.......so please let me finish and then direct it as a question Ok?" ha ha ha! it's ADORABLE!! I don't take offense, I **love** that he loves his American school SOOOOO much!!

Today after school, I went to the market ALONE! I got there, went to 3 stores, got everything I needed planned out for 3 days (a lot of times, they don't have what you want, so you gotta think on your feet)...so hopefully I can stretch it out and not do this again right away IT ONLY TOOK ME ONE HOUR!!! I was so impressed! (and stinky - ha! 80 at 11:30 am)

I also tried to learn 4 words today - only 2 stuck ;) A more informal way of saying yes (Nam) like short for Vietnam. and Bussel (hussle only bussel) for the Egyptian red onions I've come to love. As well as the word for carrot and for strawberry, I completely do not remember tho! HA HA HA!

We had a lovely lunch......the kids are now resting for an hour...they're WIPED OUT! cuz we walked to the Maadi Sports Club....played soccer on real turf! never done that before! played on the playground (just us girls while the boys played longer) then we WENT SWIMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaah! an hour in the sun in a VERY warm pool - wonderful!

I am bringing chips and bottled water to snack on. Sunset is around 5:30 here, it's quite dark by 7pm actually. I have been surprised by that

OH AND MY OVEN IS NOT IN F! HA HA HA HA HA! the first day I tried to use the oven I called Rob and said "oh no! it only goes to 240 degreees, Rob!" and he laughed and said...you need to read the manual, it's not Farh(whatever)height! ha! my spelling! HA HA HA I hadn't considered that! So I bake everything between 170 and 200...how strange in my head! I still chuckle every single time!!

Well the 3rd store I found was a little shop that said "bed bath" I found some very great pool towels. Without further yacking, here's our day so far!! Thanks for looking!! Cheryl - I'm not having a lot of luck with f/b - it locks up ALL the time...I can't watch what's going on w/ you and Eric BUT I'M PRAYING!

I got word that our WONDERFUL Preschool - Y5 program enjoyed some pics from the blog! NEAT NEAT NEAT! just one week until we'll have some travel antiquities shots for you all!! WOO HOOO!

I am still amazed at the petrified wood around here as if piles of rocks like in Michigan - VERY cool!

MAHSEHLEMAH, THOMAS! THANK YOU FOR BEING SUCH A GREAT GUY TO START THIS ADVENTURE WITH ROB!! FOR JUST BEING WHO YOU ARE!! MAY YOUR LIFE JOURNEY BRING YOU TO A WALK WITH OUR LIVING GOD THAT NOT ONLY BRINGS HIM GLORY...BUT BRINGS YOU PEACE!! MAY HIS GRACE SHINE UPON YOU AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL GIRLS!!!

and just another neat apartment building ;)

I'm still so in awe of the ginormous palm trees, I had to take another photo! not sure if you can tell from this or not..but there are MANY roundabouts here...the translation is "square" ha! IT'S ROUND THO is my mental argument ;) Sarah C oughtta like that! ha! All you palm tree lovers - that shot's for you!



So we get to the green sign and Joshua says "Look, Mom! it says Maadi Sports Club" and I laugh and say "yeah, like you actually know!" HA HA HA!





knobby trees everywhere, they fascinate me! if you look up very high, tho...you see garbage. I am astonished at how garbage is truly EVERYWHERE here! Joshua found out the hard way a week go...DO NO KICK THE GARBAGE! there's poo in it, under it..and one time a dead cat.....eeeeeeew!






IS IT TIME FOR THE POOL NOW? I'M WAY TOO HOT, MOMMA!



brrrr! I'm too cold to unwrap for a photo!

5 comments:

HollyMarie said...

Wonderful photos. It really looks like you guys are doing marvelously. :)

Heather said...

looks like you guys had a BLAST at the sports club!!!!!!!! You look soooo nice and warm ;) Send some my way please! haha

Char said...

The sports club looks like it'll be a wonderful way for the kiddos to blow off some of that energy. I can't wait to see your photo's of your cruise on the Nile.

The sun is shining in West MI today, although it's not near as warm as I'd like it to be :)

Heather said...

oh and wanted to tell you....those towels are beautiful!!!!

The Dickersons said...

The sports center looks fantastic!!!! You know I'd bet in a few months Joshua will really know how to read that sign!