A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bizarre Bazaar

A bizarre bazaar

Today at CSA (the organization that functions to care for expats and educate, coordinate events, tours, etc)which is only 5 blocks away had a Valentine's Craft Bazaar. When I told the kids we would go...I found out that bazaar is NOT a word we have used in our home before.....so Joshua wondered

WHY IS IT SO BIZARRE?

ha ha ha! So I say this is a bizarre bazaar!

But in actually, it was quaint and wonderful! We enjoyed exploring local artist talents. The kids each got little money pouches (tho Jasmine's is a purse of course HA) and I bought a cashmier "wrap" with sleeves by a international designer who is Egyptian. She had some unique works there today. $80 sounds outrageous I **never** spend that much moolah, but it's SOOO cool! :-) Maya maya! I do need something on cool mornings and this will be nice especially next winter when these 67 degree mornings seem cold ;)

I also purchased some homemade soup from an Eglishwoman. As well as Thai food, Syrian meat and some Indian (not spicey please i asked) foods. These men and women got up very early to cook for the bazaar - Mmmmm!

We found a pizza hut and a McDonald's. Outside McD's is not only a familiar play area but also mopeds and motorcyles for delivering...McDonald's! :-)

I also found a clothing shop and purchased 2 skirts and 5 blouses. I think I'm set as far as necessity goes now :-) I am MUCH too hot in jeans and really to wear shorts....well...maybe in Cairo, definitely NOT here!

Here is the shop and photo of the young woman who helped me. I knew more Arabic than she knew English, but she was gracious and VERY helpful!




Here is a photo from yesterday evening at the local hardware store. The boys were thrilled to find screw drivers and some screws - now I have places to hang hand and bath towels :-) I think you can tell from this view, that I am up about 4' higher on a section of sidewalk.



Here is Jasmine after I got my "beeg beeg rrrrug" for the main living area. It's almost the same red as my wall - in the US, you all would probably be horrified it's not precise, but I love the color and accept it graciously :-) and 2 small torquoise ones for the small bathroom. (as if either are large bathrooms - ha) She also got herself a stool so she can independently reach the sink. The beeg beeg rrrug was $35 and the stool was $1

I have 2 backpacks and one black bag. We fill it up as we shop and hang one over the stroller like so and wear the others. Joshua wears them when empty ;)


if I didn't have this stroller, I'd be homebound FOR SURE! Jasmine cannot manuveur the streets, I cannot carry her and the bags. Also, smaller strollers just can't handle the 'rough terrain' of the sidewalks and roads. I'm glad the stroller made it on the airplanes!!

I am going to look into the kids and I joining an art school for a day next week, Betty!! I know you especialy will like this! I found more papyrus paintings for $2 ea and alabaster, camel bone, etc carvings, etc. today! :-)

Also, many hunks of rocks around here...are petrified wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So outstanding......still in shock sometimes ;)

Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Carson looked at the hardware store pic and said "ohhhhh mom they even have stores there to buy guy stuff" hahahaha

Can't wait to see more pics of the house all "decorated" :) Take care girl!

Betty said...

Oh where's that 'thumbs up' dude? lol... VERY COOL ABOUT THE ART CLASS!!! go for it... I have the feeling you'll love it. The bazarre sounds fabulous... I'd have been there in a flat second myself... make sure Rob takes a pic of you in your new "wrap"!!! Love hearing about your outings!! Have a great day... closing in on my bedtime now. Been shoveling today so I'm tired. HUGS!!!

Char said...

It's funny that you called it a bizarre bazaar...there's actually one of those every early summer here in Eastown where we live....and they truly call it that.

I can't wait to see pics of your flat once you've finished decorating it. Enjoy your cold 67, as it's far chillier here in the mornings!