A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ramadan Notes #3 - Today is Day 2

Yesterday was INCREDIBLY quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The prayer times have completely ceased publically except at the final prayer I hear the call. I am not hearing it broadcast 5 times/day right now. Not only that, but the traffic went from zip-a-dee-do-da, honk-honk, swerve swerve to........

ear splitting silence.

The foreigners with drivers are the only Egyptians out! A few taxis here and there...WEIRD!

No people on the streets...no guys yelling "heck ya! heck ya!" on the top of their lungs (it's an Italian word for recylcling "beckyih" is the word but it sounds like heck ya). No men riding bikes with 2 gas tanks strapped to the back banging them thru the day to refill tanks for people......

But the yelling and beeping came in full force at 4 pm yesterday. I was told by Tyson (photographed below) that I really shouldn't walk after 3 pm. Because people get out of work and have tunnel vision to get home as fast as possible to clean up and eat at 6:30. By my calculations, they go 12 hrs without food or liquid intake...it could be a bit longer, I'm unsure.



60 pedestrians/day are killed here....that goes UP during Ramadan! gulp - hard fact to swallow w/o Ramadan! But, it's Egyptians...not only are the pedestrians not functioning at 100% but none of the drivers either! I'm not sure I'd want my driver taking my kids somewhere on an empty stomach IN 100+ WEATHER!!!

Jasmine and I are heading to the club. I am taking gatorade and hope to take sips under my towel! HA HA HA! I will respect their culture and not be rude. The kids of course can eat or drink outside anytime.

**One Wild Week**

Today is the last day of OWW for the kids. yesterday, they went to an art school. They used a pottery wheel to create and explore art...as well as creating a patter to be transposed onto a bag and they did some wood carving with chisels. Joshua is LOVING this week!!


The video above is a quick glimpse of the first 20 min of OWW. Joshua is obvious w/ his blonde hair...and because he's usually too wound up to keep going, but simply getes wacky - wish we could share his zest :) split it up between my daughter and him! ha!!

Thanks for looking and enjoying our journey here!

Melanie, thanks for letting me know - I guess the videos aren't obvbious when they are displaned. Not too many posts ago, I did one from my bedroom window looking at our church canopy where an Egyptian Christian wedding was being held. There are no others until today :) I will try to always mention them so you can look for them and enjoy!

1 comment:

Kim Stayton said...

Gas cans strapped to their back for those who run out??? Do they not pay attention to the Empty/Full gauge in their vehicles or are they all broken from the bumps in the road??? Sounds like an odd thing to have happen that often, but I guess anything can happen as normal.