A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

3andna kanaba gediida

We have a new sofa! It is actually a sofa bed. I have been moving the house around a bit so that we can entertain a little. Without smoking, pet and mold issues, it's very easy for us to spontaneously have people over - I LOVE THIS!

But with a very small space and limited furniture....

anyway - our landlord gave us permission to buy some basic furniture - so this is great for us! The kids will soon even have dressers! Tho in English here, please say chest of drawers thank you very much.

I should've photographed the sofa bed strapped to the top of the old taxi riding thru the streets of Cairo next to a herd of 30 sheep and the 2 dogs and one old guy on a donkey caring for them!
But, I've been here long enough to not be shocked! Rob's parents told me later how hilarious that was...really? OH I GUESS IT IS! So now it's EVEN funnier that it's NOT funny to me! HA HA HA!

Here's the living room. I finally hung up my papyrus with handpainting on the red wall and 2 pics of the kids now in frames on the walls :)


here's the living room pic - it's a single bed mattress, the kids are adorable, eh?!

























It was a great opportunity to get to know our friend James better, as he came for labor and translation. James came here from the Sudan 5 years ago. This is the first time hiring him, but we enjoy our friendship. He is now all hired to pay our phone bill too.

DOESN'T THAT SOUND WEIRD?!

So here's the scoop.....it takes approximately 1-3 hours waiting in an old office where you THEN find out the total and have to pay it. This takes place every 3 months. So far, Rob has spent over 7 hrs trying to pay phone bills. I decided it was better to pay James a days' wage to have HIM do it! ha! James said if you go at 7:30 am and wait for them to open the doors when they feel like it (sometime between 8 and 9, who knows?!) that it'll only take him 30 min......whatever, dude, I just **never** want to have to listen to Rob tell me about it - just the stories are daunting! One time Rob waited 3 hrs and they lost electricity for 1 hr..then he left.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

I ordered curtains this past week too. There is an enclosed balcony attached to Joshua's room but it's just GROSS! Waleed cleaned the windows and screens, remember? Joshua and I scrubbed the walls, now our landlord is hiring someone to paint it for us and installing doors from Joshua's room to the balcony - not locking ones...sigh...but at least some type of barrier from the area where windows don't quite shut all the way ;) The curtains are WASHABLE! and I'm having them made 3" bigger than how big i want them..so I can wash them! bleck!

Today, I scoped out a weekly homeschool group project to start in Sept. My friend Jill and I wanted to check it out - I just have to finalize dates/projects/etc...theyr'e going to teach Art History and the technique...with some beeds and paper mache here and there too!! It is all Egyptian place - REALLY cool place!! Looks like we'll pay $36/child for 2 hrs every week! I am stoked for their group experience, an art experience (really miss art and music from Excel!) and as well as my not having to be the teacher for one afternoon! HA HA HA!


Simply must tell you a cat story - I'm not a cat lover. Most of you know this. I appreciate them on either side of the fire place (thank you Jeffy Foxworthy), but come on....they walk in their own poo then walk on you, they're not usually friendly...etc...OK - I've lived with Sam and Bob so long now - that not only am I comfortable waiting for them to get in the elevator with me....but I actually talk to them...and pet them. Sam knows me now, he rolls on his back and starts purring before I ever pat his little head.....I do, however, only scratch and pat his head and ears on the way INTO the apartment, so that I can wash my hands immediately...

NOT EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED!

below are two links..the first one is my goofy friends and other leaders at the church we attend, from about a week ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iIuqPqv1uQ

the last one is VERY realistic...I dunno who took it, but THIS IS HOW IT IS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmRA0IPDJPY&feature=related

ha ha ha!

3 comments:

Char said...

Holy Crow is all I have to say after watching that 2nd video!

Love the new furniture layout too.

tanya said...

That first video was so funny! Don't think I would ever want to cross the street after watching the second!

The Dickersons said...

Loved the videos!! The first one was too funny! And the second one made me think you should stay indoors more often!!