A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Move in, Day Two


Two months and 4 days ago, the kids and I moved into our flat in Maadi, Cairo....Country Egypt, Continent Africa.

But today, I moved into our home.

I have actually be holding myself back and not really consciously. Those who know me well know that I like my closet and drawers organized and find things easily. I have never made the time to do so w/ my clothes. They've been piled, I brought barely enough to wear and bought enough to make it a few days and survive here. Everytime I'd do my laundry, I'd pile it up.....

Today I pulled out my winter coat I wore here from Michigan...it...smells...like...Michigan.....only I said....HOME in place of Michigan, when I said it in my head..

I sat and buried my face in it and cried....

mourning all the life I called normal and comfortable....
mourning the laughter of my beloved friends....
the free flow love and conversation with my parents.....

and I knew I needed to move in today.

I moved in today. I hung my clothes and giggled then when I realized they are not only different colored hangers but the styles differ ;)

I made my clothes at home here in the flat...it's amazing how our heart plays tricks like that on us.....

I have the Christmas decorations out of the suitcases and into some drawers, I did some clothes shopping last week so I have more of a wardrobe instead of jeans and sweats ;)

Today..is Move in Day - Day Two....a pc of my heart seems to be left empty, knowing ntohing can fill what living in Kentwood Michigan filled....

but a new part of my heart has been allowed to grow....

This is a good day....not all tough times are bad.....

Moving in...one day at a time,
Wendy, Egypt

7 comments:

Heather said...

many many many hugs!!!! Got a giggle out of the draw full of Christmas decorations ;) haha

Char said...

I love all of your clothes hung so neatly and your smiling kiddo's. I'll admit, I cried a little for you when I read the part where you smelled your winter coat. I'd do the same thing. I hope now that you have your new home in order it'll seem more like a home. Kentwood is always waiting here for you....enjoy this adventure for all that you can!

Many hugs!!!!!!!

Beth said...

((Hugs)) Wendy. I'm glad you are letting yourself get a little more settled. One step at a time!

anne said...

love the way you are journaling all of this adventure. Glad you were able to "unpack" and move in a little more, despite the pain! Been a little behind in my computer "business", but still checking in!
Love ya!

Betty said...

Oh Wendy, crying for you a little honey... my heart aches for what you miss. God willing, one day you will have that back... and more, because of this experience in a different country, in a different life. Many many hugs, and praying for a little more peace in your heart each day.

Terri said...

Oh Wendy, I understand exactly how you feel. I've been terribly homesick before. You are a strong woman, honey. And God is going to use all your experiences over there in ways you can't even imagine now! Sending love & kissed your way!

Wendy said...

Tearing up reading this....the winter coat...sigh.. :( I love that you said, "not all tough times are bad"...that is so true! Happy that you were able to take one more step today to feel more at home there. Sending big hugs to you sweetie!!