A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Family Trip to The Khan


Today we had Ieman take us to suu' khaan el-khalili.

suu' means market
khaan is like a gallery type place
el-khalili specifies it even more! el-khalili "the" because the man's name eon's ago was khalili.

' is a quick stop. So yes it sounds like sue, but you gotta add an airy K is what I call it ;)

That's your Arabic lesson for today!

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm - we had a YUMMY and relaxing lunch! We arrived prior to the tour buses...just us Egyptians wandering around ;) We enjoyed Kofta and pigeon alongside pizza, fresh strawberry juice and french fries. Mmmmmm the fresh bread and hummus is worth fighting over! I know...you're thinking

WAIT! DID SHE JUST SAY THEY ATE PIGEON? is pigeon another word for something? Yes, actually....in Papua New Guinea, it's the name of their language. Here a "peegheee-on" is a pigeon...the kind that strut their stuff all over the streets of Bolt ;)

They are raised here for meat, and have been since the days of the Pharoahs. It is REALLY good and I **highly** recommend it here! We had it grilled. REALLY good! Thankfully, there was no head.... ;) It wasn't much meat, disappointingly enough. But I dug right into the bones and cleaned 'er up ;) Joshua and I were almost fighting over it like dogs! HA!

I tried to find something suitable for my dad - hmm..no luck! But got my mom another blouse. Am sending this one - it's maroon - LOVE IT! they didn't have it in my size. None of the colors they had were overlapping in size, so we can't match again..sigh...oh well! that means we must return again! ;)

Being that I understand and speak more Arabic than before, I was able to get REALLY good prices!!!!!!

Joshua got a kid-size REAL guitar. Jasmine got an ornament. I got a lamb purse (WC, I was dying laughing thinking of the lamb/camel hide chewing discussion!) now I have a purse large enough to carry water bottle, visa's and first aid along w/ seperate pockets for LE - if they see your LE, well it's best to not have it all in one spot. Rob got himself a nile crocodile belt! :-) I also bought some fresh spices MMMMMM gotta get to Seoudis and have them deliver me some beef ;) Oh I'll never be an American again after having my food and even McD's delivered ;)

here's some pics!








The drive home. Rob was stoked to be in a tunnel, so he took a photo.

isn't the sky and architecture stunning? how'd you like to ride w/ this guy behind us on the freeway?



The story about the photo below.....

I've learned to accept that we just live longside mangey cats, wild horrid dogs....and ants. The ants live IN the floor actually...they only come out when there's a reason. Today I got up and first made 2 batches of corn muffins (one for Joshua, one for the rest of us)....I put one batch in the oven, ran to go pee......came back...and this is how fast the native creatures take over..
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTY! a blob of dough obviously was on the bottom of one pan and fell to the floor.....


3 comments:

Wendy said...

Looks like a nice relaxing day...you needed that! Laughing with you about the lamb/camel rawhide discussion! lol!

Yikes...the ants! blah!!!

Love the photo of Jazzy diggin' into her vittles. :)

Love ya!

Betty said...

I'm with Wendy, looks like such a nice day for the 4 of you. I am starting to envy your frequent outings... always an adventure!!! Sweet how you're trying to have you and your mom in matching shirts... :D < my big cheesy grin!!!

oh and then the ants.... yikes (with eyes bugged out!!) !!!! they are fast little critters aren't they???? LOL!!!!

Enjoy your herbs and such!!!

The Dickersons said...

Mmmmmm...I'll have what Jasmine's having!! YUMMY!!!!
LOVE your shirt!