A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Hippy Hippy Shake





Hello, friends and family!! Today was a short day in school because Rob wanted us to walk a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way (In America, us city folk drove 1/2 block more often than not for a few items....I walk 12 min for huge loads...so when I say a long way, I mean....approximately 35 min in one direction!). We walked a long way to check out a giant market. By Egyptian terms, this was a "supermarket" - I kid you not when I tell you that my mouth and eyes were open so far, I felt like a small child staring at Christmas lights in a snow flurry at night ;) Mesmerized. That was me....

Rob was right, maybe once/mo we should treat ourselves to going there (with a taxi thank you very much) and doing some "outrageous" shopping

Ragu spaghetti sauce $8 USD! Nature Valley granola bars $11 USD! Salsa $7 USD! you get the idea ;) I would say it was 4 times the size of a Walgreens in Michigan. It was two-stories high, upstairs had MANY fun toys! And Coleman coolers for $80 USD! These are not type-o's people!

The best part of upstairs....was the butt jiggling machine....

the hippy hippy shake.

OK some of you are just in your prime to remember these...others of us have surely seen them on tv, right? I have in movies.....a lady stands up to a machine that is shorter but "style" of a treadmill...and a "belt" goes around her "hips" connects at her bum and then shakes like nobody's business...

you know what I mean, right? THEY SELL BRAND NEW ONES HERE! I **seriously** had a difficult time not laughing my own bum off ;)

They also had soft-side intex pools, SOOO tempted to put one in Joshua's room...but then Joshua said COOL, I COULD CANNON BALL OF MY BED..so...I think now it's not a good idea ;)

They have scooters there, I'm sure we'll buy each of the kids one over the summer ;) I think they're about $15 USD here..good price!

In the store, they had THE cutest carts...now I actually thought they were for kids....but...alas....they are NOT! The little flag and handle isn't for mom and dad to steer..it's the "small" cart of the store - we were the only "kids" using it - grown people pushing these little things around! ADORABLE!



Before the shopping, we sent out some mail. Excel friends - a letter is coming again! And then let Joshua get his haircut - EGYPTIAN STYLE! The man knew 4 words in english....."hello" "bye bye" "short?" "done?" "done!" "OK?" "Ok!" ha ha! Thankfully I know enough Arabic to get it all across Mesh (OK). His hair was spiked w/ gel and painted gold! What a hoot! Nice little barber shop here! Maybe next to Joshua, you understand how typically "short" the Egyptians seem to be. The other boy in the photo is not in school because he is learning the trade and working. I have mixed feelings about this in the country....but I also see enough going on here to sorta understand.....

anywho - isn't this a cute little place? Isn't Joshua adorable? :-) Is he too old for me to say that? I'M HIS MOTHER..I CAN SAY THAT!





waving! Hey, I see my reflection too! :-)

On our walk there, they had apparently, decided to tear up some streets...no signs..just BAM you turn a corner, the sidewalk and road is gone.....lots of screeching breaks and honking horns....wonder why? GENIUS SOLUTION TO BAD ROADS - TEAR 'EM UP..MAKE IT WORSE...THEY'LL APPRECIATE THE OTHER ROADS!! I'd better stop rolling my eyes so I can continue posting my blah blah blurb on the blog.


Also on the way there, Alli and Makhmoon (kh is the throat sound). (Muhamed Ahlleeeee not girls name Alley ;) )

So Alli and Makhmoon wanted to introduce me to another brother. His name had 4 sylables with 2 kh sounds, I couldn't grasp it, but it gave them a chuckle! Anywho - he knew enough English to translate some questions Ali had. Mom, here's Makhmoon and Alli together w/ their other brother...these are the two boys whom I'd like to feed and clothe - they have such generous prideful hearts in good ways! Often, we will walk by eating fruit and just decide we're full ;) and give it to them. They have also gotten me out of a few "VERY" uncomfortable situations w/ beggars and idiot men. We take care of each other ;)

I thought some of you would like to wave at them! :-)

Since the kids can't just run outback to play here.....Joshua's interest in all things "kitchen" has returned in full strength. I took a shot of them a few days ago. Jasmine is getting more and more interested also. She stirs all of the bread dough when it's just the flours ;) Then she says it's just too hard and my fresh muslces need to take over! ha ha ha!!! It has nothing to do w/ me being stronger or anything ;)

Well, we're off to the pool. Jasmine got a nice life vest like we always had for Joshua...she's going to start swimming today..she said "when we get there, I'm gonna jump right in!" and I said.....when we get there, we'll talk safety rules! Of course she rolled her eyes and flipped her hair at me. Is she 4 or 14?


I don't know why I got such a bad shot of Joshua, I took too long! Behind me was a big truck trying to get thru a narrow path, so he looked away, but he's NOT nervous or uncomfortable HONEST! The big bruise on the older "kids" head is because he is a more "holy Muslim" in this culture - it is prominent to show how holy you are.....this "proves" he prays 5 times day and has for a long time. Remember, if they can't go to Mecca in their life, they HAVE to make up for this "shortcoming" by working harder other ways.......

I always feel so sad for them to feel such "shortcomings" especially at Easter, when I **know** Christ paid it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Lovin' the gold hair Joshua!! VERY COOL!!! ;)