A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, March 25, 2011

men mSr le Michigan

From Egypt to Michigan.

Joshua beat us! While we did pass overtop of him (they saw us on radar) at the tip of Greenland yesterday, they didn't go to Chicago first! ;) The trip for them went very smoothly, so after topping off and checking out the airplane in Goose Bay Canada, Rob decided to push on. Joshua arrived in Michigan around 4 pm. Anas and Rob will continue onto Kansas today. Please pray for Anas' family still! At least Rob can rest for a while and then push to find *ANY* job...it's not like that in Egypt. Anas can't switch social status and there isn't jobs...and the entire pilot industry...well....US can't even hold a candle to it!

Jasmine and I had smooth trips. We had a bit of turbulance, but nothing like we experienced on the way to Egypt 14 months ago. I didn't vomit even once and never even felt like it...

but what did happen is, I sobbed so hard that 2 flights, the crew wondered what they could do to give me a calmer ride, thinking that my problem was extreme fear of flying. The flight from Frankfort to Chicago, there was one Egyptian family sitting behind us to the right across the aisle in the 747. The first time I heard them talking and laughing, I turned and stared at them and smiled. They smiled back and I greeted them good morning in Arabic..the were surprised, greeted me back. The daughter (was a mother and 2 her son, daughter who were at least my age themselves). The daughter asked me how I knew Arabic and I told her that we were just moving from Egypt back to Michigan. we didn't talk alot, they were Egyptian Americans, so they have the same boundaries Americans do. I don't want mine back - I talked to SO many people yesterday in the airport! and Poor Tanya! LOLOL - when I put my arm thru hers at the airport to walk - LOL!!!!!! she said "WENDY, WE ARE NOT IN EGYPT!"

lol

We had meals that supplied sustainance, but I have come to love the fruits and meats of Egypt. I'm sure I'll put my 20 lbs back on quickly with all the preservatives and junk here :( Neither jasmine nor I liked the taste of the meats neither on the plane or the airport and always went back for something vegetarian. THO I HAD 4 SALADS IN 24 HRS! ha ha ha! aaaaaaaah....lettuce! :) without Pharoah's Revenge! HA!

My parents thought of *everything* to make us at home and welcome us as long as we need to stay! My beloved friend Melanie was at the airport with her 2 sons. It was awkward for our kids together, BUT.....her boys had litle handmade gifts that really almost made me cry again, I felt SO welcomed! Melanie told me (she knows me WELL!, didn't ask! lol) told me she's coming to help me get our stuff out of storage and work with me to set the house back up - THANKS LOVE YA GIRL! Tanya offered, but they'll be heading some place warm as a family - GO WITH BLESSINGS, GIRLY!!

Each of us 3 have our own bedroom here for now! My mom got Joshua's food and we'll do some baking today! The heat in here is up to 73! they really are going all out to richly bless us and welcome us! The kids and I slept 9 straight hours last night! PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a peek at our trip and Joshua's morning....
You can tell Jasmine cried from Cairo to Frankfort :( bless her heart! She shed a few tears the whole trip, but when we got ON the airplane (even before my tears turned to sobs), she started sobbing and talking about her school friends and teachers we left behind, then she really started carrying on when she got to our church families....





My parents brought up all the toy stuff we took to their basement before leaving...and had it ready for the kids.

Transitioning to Michigan - these were the notes I made in my head...

1. Egypt cured me of my bathroom OCD!
I walked right into the airplane bathroom, didn't think or feel anything...we used it and exited, i giggled and said to myself "Egypt cured me of my bathroom OCD!"

2. The jetway in Chicago brought a neat familiar feeling. I expected the cold winter air to "hurt" my nose and eyes - but honestly, it gave me a familiar feeling - i cherished that cold fresh feeling in my nose! and even when we left the airport in GR to walk to my truck, it was familiar and nice!

3. My truck! WOW it seemed SO big after not being inside anything that big! and WOW were we going FAST! lolololol Only to Ain Sokhna have I been over 35 mph for any length of time! And why my dad didn't go between two semi's on the white lane, bothered me for a bit! WATCH OUT GRAND RAPIDS, WHEN I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL, IT WON'T BE PRETTY! LOL

4. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BACON IS COOKING BEHIND ME!! I can't wait to eat the bacon!

5. Back on topic ;) I'm just as scatterbrained and silly as when I left! The other thing I noticed was my lack of personal space which I'm sure to struggle with for awhile! At a deli in one of the airports, I walked right up and stood by these two women who looked at me in the familiar American unfriendly way and I wondered what i had done..then I realized how close I was standing to them! LOL

6. I told the German flight attendants thank you in Arabic EVERYTIME they brought us drinks! lol One of the attendants kept offering me wine, telling me it would help me ;) That made me laugh usually! He tried *so* hard to convince me! And the German flight attendants kept speaking to me in French! which made me laugh...the Egyptians thought I was Italian, the Germans (I'm mostly German a little Swedish) thought I was French and then I spoke Arabic - what a laugh this gave me.

Thanks for letting me ramble and put my thoughts out to remember. I've cried already this morning. I made a list of things to get from the grocery store. thankfully, my parents live ina smal town with a small (American-comparison) grocery store. So I won't be too overwhelmed! The kids want bacon for breakfast and ham for lunch, we're having pork chops for Supper. I'm bound to have the 20 lbs put back on before I leave my parents! so..Amy and Ade..no worries, I won't be 'too' skinny for too long!

Best tangible gift - was the nutty bars and swiss rolls that Tanya brought me! MMMM! I'm sure they'll help me put on some American rolls! LOL

Love from Michigan to my Egyptian and American friends,
Wendy

4 comments:

Tanya said...

I didn't mind too much WS, just needed to give you a hard time ;)

Kim S. said...

Oh Wendy - tears came to my eyes as I read your post. I can't explain to you how my heart goes out to you. I too would love to be a help and plan to be, but my hubby & I are escaping the COLD for some warmer weather for a week. I will make contact with you when I return. Blessings and hugs to you as you go through this week!

Steph P : ) said...

Welcome home Wendy! I would love to get together with you... when you are ready. Until then we'll pray for as painless a transition as possible. Any Arabic restaurants around here? I'm willing to try it!

Tami said...

If you need help please let me know. Zach has Spring break from the 1-10th of April. I have a box to send you but I thought I would wait until you were settled. Maybe hand deliver it to you. Love you girl. Big hugs

Tami