A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Mom Goes to Giza

LAST DAY OF 2010 AND I SPENT IT AT THE PYRAMIDS AND SPHYNX WITH THE FAMILY!!

not much more needs to be quoted after that, do ya think? Ok - more coming....

it was a VERY clear day, we saw the pyramids long before we got there. It was...well....Words can't describe it, really just pinch me. I must admit I cried..pinch me again, I'm really here! Just wish Larry could share this with me. We had planned one camel and one buggy ride when we got to the pyramids. We planned to take a turn on the camel but somewhere in translation things weren't what we all had thought. Rob, Joshua and I rode in a buggy (carriage not what you think it is) and Wendy rode with Jasmine thru the desert. We got to tour the pyramids in the carrriage for an hour. I did get on the camel and had my picture taken. It was very different from anything when the camel gets up and you hold in front and in back, then lean as far back as you - repeat when he gets down. It is such a weird (discomforting) feeling.

We ate a picnic lunch with the pyramids right behind us! You look out around there is desert with so many camel riders and horse riders and pyramids and here we sat on a wall of one of the wives' tombs!

We went to the solar boat. It was amazing how huge it was and held together with ropes woven around boards. Hard to imagine they had it covered for afterlife with hug epillars. The sphynx - magnificent! but I must admit, I was much more impressed with the pyramids. It was huge and you can make out legs and paws and tail. Pictures today don't do anything justice to showing how magnificent it ALL is!

Words cannot express the awesomeness of being in Egypt...being with the pyramids....the sphynx, camels, horses, bedouin....
I went into a tomb and saw the solar boat. It was amazing how huge it is and to learn how it was held togeth

~Mom~ and her photos to follow.....

how to explain what it's like to drive and suddenly the pyramids appear....

coming up behind camels

going beside the camels

off on the carriage tour






met up with the other girls




Solar boat - khufu and the smaller pyramids were for his wives and a daughter I think too



entering the temple for mummification where we went into the tomb and saw the sarcafagas

Wendy said we NEEDED this photo - I agreed


picnic at the pyramids - how many people can say that in the US?!




inside the tomb - heiroglyphics!!!!!!!!








the temple at the sphynx - alabaster floors, granite and marble walls






stopped abruptly at a road-side market - got local bananas (1 kilo, only 1 banana is left!!) as well as some purple carrots to try tomorrow.

Being able to experience my mom's reaction to having the pyramids pop out of the background....and her response to all the camels and bedouin was - I'm unable to express my reaction in words!!

I was sorely disappointed when I realized even with the sedan driver translating appropriately...we got separated for the tours! We were told that camels entered thru an alternate gate....and accepted that.....
but to not experience the entire tour WITH my mom was disappointing! SO when my mom AND DAD come NEXT Christmas, I'll ride in their carriage and the kids can be in one w/ Rob! ha ha ha!!

*however* after 10 min into our tour with the camel, I was NOT disappointed, I confess! Jasmine and I had such an amazing walk thru the desert. We saw Dashour pyramids from the distance! So clear, you could make out which one is Bent! We saw new excavation sites of tombs and homes and walls for irrigation...oh it was monumentally stunning, as if it was my first time at the pyramids!! My blood pressure was up the ENTIRE time because we were up SO high and the only way to stay on IS TO HOLD ON! Jasmine was confident and chatted almost the whole way, she saw things almost before I did....she doesn't want to ride in the carriage, but again on a camel! ha!! I'm not sure my rump, thighs, shoulders or biceps can repeat anytime soon! it was MARVELOUS!

another bad thing about being separated is - I HAD NO CAMERA!!!!!!!! I can't hold onto a camel, a daughter AND take pics..so I left it up to Rob...but....WE DIDN'T GO TOGETHER! we met up together and got some fun pics.....and I enjoyed hearing my mom and Joshua's stories and seeing their photos! I hope you're enjoying this as well!

before I add on mine and Rob's photos, I must tell you all...

KOLL SENNA WA ENTA TAWEBBA!

may the year be terrific for you - all the way through!! peace and blessings!!







No comments: