A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pics to Kick off 2011 in Egypt


1-1-11 was spent shopping on St 9 and stuffing our faces at the club. The kids played their hearts out as well!
Below is a banyan tree. We took a different route home (no, I wasn't lost! I felt adventurous!) and saw this tree - mom needed a pic! wonderful!!

this is a cactus! SERIOUSLY! this cactus is approximately 5 stories tall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UN-BELIEEEEEEEEVABLE!


1-2-11 - FALOOCA ON THE NILE!! 2 hrs of bliss!



we waited 25 min for prayer to end, so we could get fresh koshary - it was well worth it! And there's mom gobbling her piece of cheese cake - I splurged and found a mix mmmm!!!! well worth it!







nothing like free spirited laughter caught on film! there's Grandma woopin Joshua's butt in cards - a new game VERY fun (and aggressive - lol - mom says I slap too hard, so she quit competing - wimp - lol) called Slamwich
~W~

OH I HAVE A POTTY POST!!

I need to add to an old thread "you know you've lived in Egypt a long time when...."

you ask your daughter serious as all can be "hey, do we need money for this bathroom?"

why is that so funny? Because...the women actually beg for money for giving you wet toilet paper or dirty toilets or who knows WHAT! At the pyramids, the lady was DEMANDING 5 FIVE from everyone, I gave her 1 and I think she could tell she'd better be happy ;)

THEN....ok so after I recover from dying laughing that my mom's adjusted to the toilet situation here......

I realize I've over adjusted......so I get super happy when there's toilet paper. I mean SUPER happy! Especially when the toilet paper is hanging by the sink..to dry your hands....of course it sticks, but what else can I do?

So - we're in the bathroom, Joshua and my mom are using a NEW NEW IT WAS NEW, MOM! a new hand dryer (I admit, I used it the day before), I get toilet paper stuck all over my hands, to the point that it's just making a big wad and keeps getting bigger....until I whipped it hoping to lose myself, and instead flung the roll into the water-filled sink. at which point, everyone's busting a gut laughing AT me. and still, pcs of tp were on me....sigh.....

but..AT LEAST WE DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT!

I'm thinking for those of you who've lost jobs, should hand out 1 square for $1 at malls and such....you'd make a KILLING on old people, men and pregnant ladies!

lololol

Well, I learned here that lol in some European countries means "lady of leisure" - I'm quite sure my mom and I were lol today on the falooca ;) ladies of leisure, signging out.....as we listen to the drum call on the gas cans outside the window....

2 comments:

HollyMarie said...

Your photos of your sails down the Nile are just so cool! That would be something Ben and I would love to do someday. Happy New Year Wendy! The TP story is funny. :D

Betty said...

VERY SERIOUSLY LOLOL'ING ABOUT THE TP STORY!!!!

OH MY THAT IS SUUUUUUCH A GOOD ONE!!!!!

I can just see you now... OK THERE I GO AGAIN...

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!