A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Daily Life

I think we should buy this for Joshua! I'm sure he would be a better driver here than ME! lol speaking of cars...Rob purchased a truck here. It just arrived 2 days ago...and it stays where it lays!! lol - he had hoped if he bought it, I'd use it...I'm not driving that thing! Perhaps I would change my mind over time.....but I doubt it...not only am I stubborn ;) but I'm terrified! A friend told me here that she thanks God every night that she doesn't kill someone! IT'S THAT WACKY HERE! **all** over!! Just this morning, we dodged at last 7 cars in 12 min!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday brought the return of the routine of school. I am unsure who was more disturbed...the teacher or the student! ha! While Jasmine was bouncing with glee, had to change her outfit a few times.....Joshua and I wanted to just PLAY PLAY PLAY like we'd been doing the previous 3 weeks! HA! My mom's been able to read a lot and enjoying it...Karen Kingsbury Take 1, 2 and now she's 1/4 way thru Take 3. I kept telling her thru 1 and 2 "oh it only gets worse" - so I'm not sure if she likes the books or is like many women and just enjoys the drama! LOL

We've settled back into a groove. I have forgotten how busy a morning is to get the kids ready, study God's Word, pray and walk to school in the traffic.....and doing it all without screaming at each other! LOL - but those days of screaming are just part of family life....and we move on with grace and know that it doesn't define each day anymore - whew!

Today my mom will accompany to the African Hope Learning Center. I am excited for her to meet "my kids." I am THRILLED to see "my kids" again! There is an innocence and openness and genuine love in African cultures that I've never seen in my small world at Michigan. I have been told by other world-travelers here that Africa (including Egypt) are just societies where you simply do "live" and love together! It is really amazing to feel and belong to that!

Combined with Joshua's great health (no asthma attacks in 11 months! In the US, we made it to 6-8 WEEKS for 8 YEARS!).....combining those two just makes everything else so much easier to 'accept' here!!

My mom has some photos of just daily life the past few days. I thought I'd share with you! I think she's glad we're back to school - LOL! so she can rest! Altho we're not sleeping in anymore - so we can't stay up chatting all night! ha!!

oh - it's been 40 every morning for over a week - and I'm telling you I'M FROZEN! lol!!!!!!! We saw our breath on our walk today....brrr!!! my ear canals ache ;) need a heavy cap! that'd be a sight!

yeesh....children.....such silliness ;)



HEY STOP LAUGHING! I'M COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and watching these women do their laundry..made us COLDER!





cool shot my mom got huh? NOW CAN YOU SEE OUR CAPTAIN? :)

*you know you live in Egypt when a falooca on the Nile is part of daily life*

2 comments:

HollyMarie said...

I read all those books too... yep, I think for the drama;it's kinda like a Christian soap opera! ;) Lovely pics. Too funny about the truck. Drive, Wendy, DRIVE! (though I never would agree to it!)

Steph P said...

I can't remember reading what a falooca is? You prob. explained it somewhere? I looked it up on the internet and your blog came up with the 3 entries that you have used it! Looks like you are all still having fun!