A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Momma Goes Pharaonic

Another day where I want to ask Wendy to pinch me! It is so green along the Nile - Just couldn't believe I was actually taking a ride on the Nile. We went to the Pharaonic Village which is a replica of Ancient Egypt statues of their gods-replica of King Tut's tomb and things that were in the tomb. The tour was fabulous and brought history and the Bible to real life, actually standing on Egyptian ground. I was amazed at the papyrus plants and all the different birds. Even got to see a keewe bird. Words can't really begin to describe what I saw and where I am. Larry, I know you would have just been overwhelmed like I was - All the History.

Saw donkeys and horses pulling carts with different wares on the carts. We saw a donkey pulling a double trailer (semi length) of re-rod thru the heart of town. Didn't get a picture in time of that. We saw fishing boats and the men were casting out their nets and then some were pulling them back in and had fish. It is so overwhelming I cry every time we go sight=seeing. I sure wish you could see the things I am seeing, Larry. Watched the people do farming along the Nile it is amazing the tools they have to use - nothing like we are use to.
Our driver, Ayman, is very nice and he always goes out of his way so I can get pictures of different things along the way. He even stopped on a bridge over the Nile so Rob could take some pictures for me as Jasmine and I were sitting in the front seat and I couldn't get out easily.

We had a tour guide at the Pharonic Village, she was fantastic - made everything very interesting and informative. She was interactive with the kids which they liked.

~Mom~

Now for some photos by Joshua, Wendy and Mom...

home along the Nile

laundry day - hey Lake girls...I'm thinking I shouldn't whine about laundry duty anymore!


self explanatory - moments in time...making large long-lasting memories!

our audio tour through "important gods"

the lotus flower

the temple

the copper tools to work with limestone

handblown glass (purchased by all, including Joshua! and we saw copper work!)

two girls loose on a yacht going N on the Nile - definitely had too much fresh air ;)

view from the bridge

my biggest boy and my littlest tyke were super tired ;) Joshua was super snuggly cuz he was so cold! (it was breezey and only 65!)

farms...homes....


GREAT CONDITION!!

not so great condition, but a well-working tupperware distrubition company




Seoudi's market where I frequent - I got my hair cut while Mom and the family went to Seoudi's for a few items.

Mom adds ~I want to try to add something, but it's just so overwhelming!
oh yes, the music on the yacht ride - TERRIBLY loud. unique style but TERRIBLY loud. ~

1 comment:

Steph P said...

Great pictures and I love reading your Mom's thoughts! Everyone looks good and happy. Glad you are all having a great time! Have a wonderful CHRISTmas tomorrow!!