A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Two Short Videos - more pics of "village"

I attempted to load videos....but it's not an option here...hard to explain how things just aren't an option....if I understood more about internet rights, etc, it'd make more sense...or if I could read Arabic which is what BLOGGER is in for me, I might figure it out..sorry! but I think I can put them on facebook and PERHAPS they will work in the US...so here they are! NO GUARANTEES!

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/JoshuaRupert/?action=view¤t=P1020380.flv

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/JoshuaRupert/?action=view¤t=P1020376.flv

******

Today I hired an Egyptian, Muslim woman named Nadia to do misc tasks for me and with me! She has agreed to help me with some Egyptian cooking as well as acquiring mail from the post office (I believe I have 2 pkgs coming soon) and sending mail. She will also babysit as necessary, but specifically for when I start my classes two mornings/week later this month.

After praying on the walk w/ the kids to meet Nadia at CSA, I felt comfortable and warm in her presence. She has 3 children - oldest is 19 in college to become a teacher...she works so that her children can all go to good schools. She babysits from 2:30-7 pm for another expat family 6 days/week. The timing is perfect for her, she says, because she can see her 10 and 14 yr old off to school, walk here, still make it home to get supper ready for her family before she heads off again - WHAT A LONG DAY those 2 days will be for her! But that's why she said 2 days is good :-) and sometimes cooking together on a Sat or going to the post office :-) HOORAY!

I have decided that as time allows, I'll sneak in more pics of Tut's tomb ;) So here's 5 more while we eat supper they can upload!

You can see his chair as he grew older - snake heads for protection from evil spirits sorta where your elbows go. I think the jackal feet too? remember Anubus. You can also see that the first reclining bed was found in his tomb! and I did a close up of the ceramic "servants" who would rise to service in the afterlife. Another neat fact is that all the guards have Tut's face...so that when his spirit comes looking for him...it finds him easily ;) There was gold wrapped on his fingertips and tips of his toes as these are weak areas of the body where evil spirits could get in.

Joshua asked them about "natron" and in English we've always heard it said long a. Naaaaytron. Here they say "nahtrin" well between i and o, hard to explain....I finally heard it spoke and said OH OH OH! that's what Joshua was asking about ;)

Anas took Rob shopping again tonight to find some specific things I FINALLY HAVE SOME BREAD ROLLS! not sure what they are, but I'm stoked! The traditional hungarian stew smells good on the stove!! Rob and Anas got their uniforms today - HANDSOME MEN THEY ARE!!! I can't wait to meet Anas' daughter when they take us to the pyarmids in 11.25 days (but who's counting?)




1 comment:

Heather said...

one word... AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!