A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Soft Toilet Paper, Clean Public Bathroom and 5 Story Mall

That's just the highlights! ha! First, I'll start last and work backwards ;)

We *finally* made it w/o incident, to the Maadi Homeschooling Group Playdate. They meet once/week on Wednesday afternoons at 2pm to play for an hour or so...well at 5 pm, I hauled us out very reluctantly ;) Good thing I had already made beef stew 2 days ago - ha!

It was WONDERFUL! Not only is there a clean bathroom with soft toilet paper....(yes that's the most important part!) but I

1. Enjoyed speaking English openly with people who not only understand it, but "get" the idiotic humor and all the little slang stuff we do constantly in America

2. Felt a real connection with the women I met - Cindy (Korean American who gave me a tip on a family style authentic Korean restaurant), Jill (who works for the American embassy and this is how we get in here for free every Wed), Ee-yee (spelling phonetically) a funny Chinese American woman who orginated from Burma, Jennifer (who started the group and originated from America until 17, Sweden until 20's then Belgium until 3 yrs ago), Nancy who is very shy and is here on a student visa with her husband, Rachel who will never give birth in this country again (ha!). I'm giving myself a quiz by saying all that ;)

3. Got invited to a "bbq pork ribs and movie night" tomorrow outside on a patch of grass - and is going!! $5 per person!! PORK RIBS? DID SOMEONE SAY PORK RIBS? ok sorry, off topic a bit

4. Used the bathroom and not only was it EXCEPTIONALLY clean but the tp was ABUNDANTLY available AND soft...AND there was ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP! as well as PAPER TOWELS! A well - maintained bathroom - a "corner" of America, I'm telling you!

We were at "The Maadi House" - it is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than The Maadi Sports club, but it is the American Embassy "club house" and really it was a bit of America - really boosted me :-) I do think that speaking English, hearing English was the best part - tho the bathroom experience I had, did create a long conversation when I re-joined! HA HA!

Earlier today, the kids and I went on a small adventure to the "Maadi Mall" - ok go ahead and think American on a lot of ways - except the indoor smoking - ICK GAG GAG! and the lady who "shooed" me out of her store (no exaggeration here) so she could clean - umm..like..ok, you don't want my money? Here are some shots on the way there...the place itself.....and the way home!

Remember awhile back, I showed you a train track we walked down cuz...like...it isn't used...oh IT'S USED! we found out JUUUUST after getting off it! Got a quick shot of the "antique" train crane ;) Could this be "Cranky" the Train's great grandfather ;) Marufsh! I dunno!! but it had me oohing and aahing! ;) Tho it's not a great shot, I **had** to show you!

The expensive stores had clothes that were just so nice......REALLY WOW! $18-$30 US for stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to start shopping to return to the US - ha ha ha!

I also found the FULL covering swim suits I've read about in magazines that the women wear here...they even have "hoods" and gloves...and it's - ok it seems to be a body suit where you cover head to ankle in black or brown swim suit material...then a swuim suit material dress over it...yep...they swim in it! Neat! :-) I'm glad they DO get to cool off sometimes! :) ok, nuff rambles...here's some pics!

As the photos load, I'll tell you more...the kids under the "hut" or what not - I'm not sure what this is? there was nothing around it, but it was clean and it was like a little restaurant, tho it was near the big "sandpit" where I took their photo by a "grafiti" 'd wall - I have no idea what it is? but it was cute and adorable...there was another spot about 20' from it that was similar and had outdoor lighting? Do families own these spots and come to bring supper, I dunno!!??

The giant wooden wheel was fabulous! We saw some antique farm equipment here along w/ the man who makes these benches that I *really* want to bring to the US but cannot..anywho - I think it's a disc of some sort in one photo.

The mall exterior and interior shot - we had to take an escalator w/ the stroller NOT FUN poor Jasmine almost fell, eek!! The elevator doesn't work..

again, pushing the buttons.....man says "read sign" and I laugh..

I

DO

NOT

READ

ARABIC

and it cracks me up! apparently there's a sign saying it's out of order or something? dunno! or maybe being cleaned? or maybe under construction? MARUFSH!







5 comments:

Heather said...

ahhh yet another day with the ramblings from Wendy! Love it!!! :) Thank you!

The Dickersons said...

OK so I read Heather's post and had to laugh and comment...I LOVE reading your ramblings because you write how you talk...all over the place;) When I write I tend to go back through my stuff and rewrite things that I think people can't understand, but you don't and it cracks me up! It makes me feel like you're really talking to us. Its great!

Betty said...

Wendy it sounds like another good day to me... AWESOME!!! Love your detailed descriptions of people, places, things, smells, etc. too!!!! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. SO glad you met this HS group today... they sound like nice people!!! YAY for you!!!!!

Wendy said...

Oh, I'm so happy that you were able to make it to the homeschooling group! And...you feel connections with the folks there. YAY!!!...and soft tp...perfect! The photos are great, as usual! The wheel is magnificent!

HollyMarie said...

Neato Wendy! I also love reading all your descriptions and hearing about what you are experiencing. It sounds like the homeschooling group will be the perfect place to just breath easy and relax. :)