A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Grit....


I am almost not emotionally effected by the grit on my teeth on windy days!

And today...when I opened my beloved twix I got yesterday and saved for "just one of those days" (which today was) I opened it. I grabbed a twix and started eating...

PEOPLE!! I AM FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY USED TO GRIT ON MY HANDS! I didn't have to open, dump it, wash my hands from the grit on the pkg THEN eat it...I just ate it like a "normal" human being.....and the grit didn't effect me one bit!

Big cheesey smile for me!

Standing ovation, anyone?

Some questions asked....

When we go to the Maadi Club, I purposefully choose my photos so as not to add a bunch of others and intrude on their privacy ESPECIALLY at the pool. The shot of Rob is DURING school hrs, we were one of 9 people in one of the three OLYMPIC size pools. There is LOTS of people there tho otherwise. The playground is PACKED all day w/ giggling mothers and rambunctous toddlers :-) But anything about 85 is TOOOO hot for me to go to the playground when the pool is just 20' away!! :-)

How do I get to and from the pool w/ such hot weather and those layers....I put my veil (scarft) over my shoulders. Here's one of my 3 favorite skirts here! VERY light linen...aaaah! airy and comfy - these women in jeans STILL blow my mind ;) My linen crop pants are MARVELOUS - awaiting the next bazaar to find me another color of those!

What can we watch on tv here? NOTHING! we don't watch tv! and well, we only watched it in the US on the weekends for 1-2 hrs depending...now IIIIII watched it cuz I spent so many evenings alone ;) But here w/ Rob here and cards, etc...we don't watch tv. We can rent movies over iTunes and hook the laptop to the large flat screen tv that came w/ the apartment....and we have like 15 kids movies that way too that we bought before coming even :-)

Even if we got satelite tv here (the only option) we couldn't understand it! ha! Even American movies are played over in Arabic ;)

A mystery has been solved by Mr. Thomas via skype! THANKS! So when we shop at Street Nine, the cars pull straight in the park....and then people PARALLEL park behind them...so I am like - WOW that's dangerous in America! If you were lucky enough to only get towed....let alone keying, etc....well....one day I saw people pushing a car??? and I thought it was broken down...adding it all together, Mr. Thomas cleared it all up....

you see...the double parked car leaves it in neutral.....so....when the other car is ready, the community notices, pushes the car, the other leaves, they push that car in!!!!!!!!!!! NO KIDDING! I've seen it, just did not understand WHAT was going on!!??

Yesterday, I had a "Cairo Meltdown" - you know....when like one guy calls and says he'll come fix this one burner on the stove......but three days pass...and then he calls about something completely different as if it never transpired? Or another guy calls and says...

C (in English) I say 12, but come 2:30, why you not there?

W - completely baffled - if you say 12, why would I expect you at 2:30?

C - Hmm...interesting.

eye rolls please!

Rob and I both cannot get over how CLEAR the sky is here! You would think w/ the city lights and smog...but..EVERY night (excluding cloudy nights), it is SOOOO crisp and clear....breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that's it for today :-)

Oh wait..no it's not! I got a taxi to an Egyptian orphanage today. I can indeed go and the kids and I can play w/ the young children, etc...BUT...we must call first because it should be arranged for an American to visit...I know enough to know what conclusions to draw...

anywho - I was glad to know! And I can walk there (Thomas, it's by CAC).

4 comments:

Keating Mom said...

Yay for getting over the grit!! :)

Betty said...

hmmmm.... GRIT...
"reminds me of the taste of wild hickory nuts"

;) remember that commercial? LOLOLOL!!!!!

Siscos said...

Go, Wendy! Victory over the OCD! Praise the Lord!

Wendy said...

Victory over grit!?! WOW..that's BIG...you go girl!!! :)