A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Entitled Americans.......

I have strongly believed for a LONG time that the biggest problem with the youth (even when I was one) was the idea of "entitlement."

can you hear the whiney voice?

I'M ENTITLED TO HAVE AS MUCH CANDY AS JOHNNY DID TODAY IN SCHOOL, MOM, GO YELL AT MY TEACHER!

right? Many of us have faced these similar situations.....

At preschool once I had a mother get appauled at me that when I bring my daughter with food allergies, her very own snack (pretzels, rice cakes) when they have cupcakes and cookies...she said to me

"Well that's not fair! My little "darling" wanted some of Jasmine's snacks and there wasn't enough! There should be enough for every child if Jasmine's going to have it"

yes, this mother KNEW why jasmine had it..so I politely said...the best thing would be for them to not have any snacks at all, then there'd be no problems of fairness or allergies, right?

She never brought it up again.

Ok THAT is not the type of entitlement I'm talking about today ;)

I am still the American who feels entitled

TO GET WHAT I WAS PROMISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, I'm yelling!! and yes I did yell..and yes, I raised my voice and yes I talked too fast and too loud for the "messenger" to understand - yes, i wanted to "kill the messenger."

When I purchase a queen sized bed so that my husband will finally sleep with me.....and I give my address and ask for it to be delivered and he says "I understand, we bring it Wed" and I say "no no, Wed is bad, can you bring it Thursday" and he says "Yes, yes, Thursday ok we call first."

I AM ENTITLED

TO

GET

MY

QUEEN

SIZED

BED

DELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRED!

ON

THURSDAY!!!

right?

Well, there's no arguing it...there's no customer is always right, there's no way to get what you paid for.....

NO

WAY!

I am playing the entitled American brat today...and I am VERY unhappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've let boxes get lost in the mail, I've gone without water for 3 hrs and smelled a horrific smell in the building that an outhouse could run a stink race against, I've slept in 89 degree weather and no a/c or electricity, I've called for soy milk and arrive 15 min later and find they haven't had it for DAYS.....

BUT....

100 DEGREES.....AND YOU DON'T DELIVER??????????????????

AND I'M UP 5 FLIGHTS????????????????????????????????????????

INFORMATION THAT WOULD'VE BEEN USEFUL YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After my ranting and pacing.......I finally prayed and my b/p did come down ;)

I am ashamed of my bad example cuz the guy who called had NO idea my "agreement" of course.......and there's nothing on paper...

I mean...people...I paid the trash guy 40 LE in cash "cuz he said so" - there's no paper, there's no agreement,t here's NOTHING!!!???

it's not even about the language..it's just.....

ANOTHER RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

argh!

I called this guy Cecil who's been doing some deliveries for me, doesn't struggle to hold eye contact and talks as freely w/ Rob as me - women know what I'm getting at
;)

(SaySoul is how you say his name, say it quickly)

He is going to come do some stuff for me Thurs, first is to acquire a taxi and help me get the stupid mattress upstairs...and if Rob won't sleep with me....

I think I should stop the threats there ;)

and let you all chuckle at what I might've said and didn't ;)

Of course the store doesn't open until 10, so by the time we get back it'll be pushin 90 degrees...........

you've SEEN the elevator photos right? Today after going to the market, only our stuff fit on the elevator, not bodies - lol. And after lugging it that far in 95 and sun, I had NO intention of being in the stinky elevator and letting the nasty carpeted walls TOUCH me

I've had enough today!!!!!!

No, I'm not packing up and coming back to the US, nothing short of war is going to get me to make that flight again ANYTIME soon!

Oh...the building owner cut off that giant flower, we never saw it blossom...for some reason THAT JUST TAKES THE CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course it IS their flower - lol. I'm just mad at the store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Cecil comes, I'm going to have HIM call the store and CONFIRM they're even OPEN!!!!!!!! He is happy to help me ;) He makes more for me in an hr than all day at the market ;) 40LE/day is the wages for a FAMILY!!!! It costs 100 LE just to SEE a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to post our pic w/ this beast in the stairwell for you all......

Cecil reminds me of my brother - short but packs a big punch ;) I may be bigger, but he's got more gusto - lol!

Love from gripe city,
An Entitled American

4 comments:

Heather said...

gripe away my dear ;) I'd come to help push up the monster...but I'm afraid we'd end up laughing so hard we'll pee our pants LOLOLOL!!!!

Betty said...

well, if nothing else you are entitled to FRUSTRATION. Yup, don't blame ya, it does ad up after awhile. The heat sure doesn't help, nor does not sleping in the same bed as your husband.

(((((((((((WENDY))))))))))))

just giggling a little cuz I can almost see you you bouncing with energy from the anger. (sorry!!)

Tami said...

About time you let it out girl. HUGS hoping that bed grows wings and fly's to your room. :)

Wendy said...

oh. :( Just now reading this and feeling terribly for you!! Sorry I'm late! Glad to hear that the mattress did make it up. But, that's all you're gonna say about that eh? ;)