A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Settling into our Home!

First...Misc notes.....

"walking in Cairo is tricky at any age"

how true and what an understatement!! Poor Jasmine fell and really bit the big one yesterday over the UNEVEN (understatement) sidewalk....a man gave her a flower from his garden and kissed her head...I think possibly even prayed. What a loving community!! When I told the head of the homeschool group - which I just got in touch with and was joining for the weekly play date - why we didn't come..she said "walking in Cairo is tricky at any age"

Someone today was shocked they can't read any of my address written in Egyptian Arabic. I got QUITE a big chuckle out of that because not only is it written from right to left, but it's not the romanized lettering system (am I saying that right, Sara S?) so even I could sound out Russian if I had to but here...nuttin...not even numbers!! I do think a V is 2 tho - ha ha ha! I keep thinking Roman OH THAT'S FIVE! ha ha! silly Wendy!

Yesterday I went to Shayrda Tessa to hire a contractor. LOW AND BEHOLD! thank you, Lord, I found a very polite Egyptian man who understood my English VERY well and he could speak enough that we connected...he came over to talk to Rob and I..called me today and VOILA!






FUNNY PART!

Yssr (like saying yes sir in one word together, but rolling r at the end and a beautiful Arabic accent)

Yssr says to us yesterday..

"pint? pint, madam, pint?"

I answer YES PLEASE PAINT!

Yssr says "color, madam?"

and Rob answers "white"

and he says "ok, ok, white"

Well....that translates to CLEAR! he put a clear finish on it - funny part is,we really are surprised that we like it! :-) He and his brother were meticulous to be sure the top shelves had pretty bottoms! and he hung up a few other things around the house too....as you can tell from pics, we can now get nick nacks from our time here - I've never been a nick nack patty whack...but guess I am going to become an Egyptian one ;)

here's a peek at their handiwork!

Tomorrow, Friday, we were all paid, stoked and set to go sandboarding! I even bought 2 veils yesterday - they say veil here, tho our face is exposed so we'd say scarf..I bought 2 scarves yesterday so I'm ready - the 3 hr drive to the white desert would be bedoin land and I'd need headcoverings....and SAD! it got cancelled due to LACK OF INTEREST! ARE THESE PEOPLE NUTS MISSING THIS ADVENTURE?! no date to reschedule...

BUT...no fear! Anas and his daughter are taking us to GIZA!!! PYRAMIDS!!! SPHINX!!
In Arabic, they say Abu al-Hol. Abu is father (ah, boo said quickly) it means Father of terror. Interesting fact! His English is better than MOST 2nd generation Hispanics in my neighborhood ;) so it'll be REALLY great!! and best part...wait..IS there a best part to BEInG WITH PYRAMIDS?? AND ONE OF THE GREAT WONDERS OF THE WORLD..ThE SPHINX?

WE RIDE CAMELS THERE!

YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!

I can hear Steven C Chapman now
SADDLE UP YOUR CAMELS!! WE GOT A TRAIL TO BLAZE! INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER OF GIZA'S AMAZING STUFF!
lol

I have purchased a rosemary plant to go in my window planter box outside the living room which will be delivered Tues when our DRIVER and CAR arrive for the day.....the man who spoke English during the whole....interesting police thing....his brother is a taxi driver..for $40 they will take us to

SAQQARA!!! IMHOTEP'S MUSEUM!! MEMPHIS!! (ancient capital) We'll have 6 hours there! it is one hour in each direction!! Us 4 are STOKED! but I'm sure by next weekend we'll be wiped out ;) Just had to tell ya what's ahead....inshalla (God willing) sounds prettier in Arabic tho ;)

I am learning more words every day and speak the language must faster! I find "chicken" to be very funny - belody. Think melody and add a b....and i think..ugh...what a horrible melody chickens make.....it's more of a belody yes! ha!

I have not yet rec'vd any more pkg's etc for a necessary trip to the post office, so I haven't yet mailed our stuff - quite a pile is accumulating ;) Bruce....hang on tight....your treasures will arrive INSHALLA - lol

5 comments:

Tami said...

Wendy can't wait for the pyramid pictures. Jim keeps asking if you have visited them yet. So sorry about the sand surfing sounds fun. Have a great weekend exploring. Miss ya Tami

Heather said...

Dude....not enough interest?!?!? Hang ten and wait for the next wave! hahaha My humor amazes me sometimes! hahaha

No package yet...hmmmmm

Betty said...

My eyes have been bugging out lately from all the awesome artifacts and museumy stuff!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! have had a hard time keeping up with it all... so much to absorb. I agree, crazy that people weren't interested in dune surfing.... HUH? lol

But frankly I'd take pyramid tours over that anyday!!! ; )

later girl!!!! HUGS!!!!!!

Wendy said...

WOW!! Wendy girl, I'm having trouble keeping up with you. So excited to hear all about the pyramids!!!! SO AWESOME!! Sorry about Jazzy's fall. :(

Siscos said...

Yes, friend, "Romanized" is correct -- well done! I'm sure they can't make heads nor tales of English writing, so it's reciprocal. It sounds like you're picking it up already. I love all of your language info., of course, though I'm no good with anything besides English. I technically comprehend it, but the fluidity and verb conjugations get me every time. Glad to see you're doing better than your English teacher friend. Lots of love!