A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Shopping Today......

the electricity went out.

Now really, after being here more than 7 months, it is SHOCKING that today was my first time inside a grocery store when the electricity went out! Instantly, the other foreigners gave away their position with little gasps and whispers....while me and the Egyptians and workers instantly went "click click" on our cells to turn the flashlight on! Onward we go!! Shopping- high-ho! It was a little more difficult to get deli meat ha! But everything else went smoothly! I liked the workers announcing their arrival "behind you, madam" when approaching - ha!! They must know not to sneak up around women in the dark! mwah ha ha ha!

Heaven-sent, Sara S is right, today a young man was heaven sent! I accidentally (out of habit) got a large cooler-size of drinking water....and wasn't ready with an exchange (which is a problem here ~ugh~) one of "my guys" told me no problem (in Arabic of course) and will pay the fee and then I'll call him when it's empty..he'll return it, get HIS money back, I'll save a LOT of hassle...AND he'll get another little tip - WE'RE ALL SO HAPPY!! In this heat and these streets...not going back out to take care of a water issue - oh there's no words to say the gratitude of not dealing with that myself!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS MUSTAFA!!

I simply **must** photograph my guys on their bikes and my piles of food!! They always say in Arabic "much food!" But the wealthy locals have their servants buy food more often than I do - I simply do NOT have the time to keep up with that! Once/wk baby!

I keep forgetting to show you the eggs here!! I get local red eggs. To you that's brown eggs....they are packaged similar to the US really...but....

see the feathers? and poo? yep...eggs don't cost extra with feathers and poo!! No worries, if i do happen to bake with them and not just boil...or if I fry them up YES I WASH THEM VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY WELL! the super poopy ones get boiled afterwards - HA!

This is how my mom had her farm fresh eggs from underneath the chickens..but these....well...I wonder what happens in the US to get them "so" clean - now I'm glad I always washed my hands in the US after I touched eggs - ha ha! I'm thinking they're not as "clean" as we think they look there!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

So, grocery shopping in the dark eh?? Always something new and interesting in life isn't there. :)

Poo on eggs.....well, I could probably live without that newness. lol! We are so very spoiled here in the states aren't we!! The eggs are pretty though!