A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, July 23, 2010

What We Saw In Sharm el-Sheikh




head sized - maybe bigger

MANY different types of parrot fish - most longer than my forearm ALL very friendly - I took this...I did NOT zoom in!!

this guy below was about as big as Joshua - his face cracks me up!! jasmine cried and panicked when she stuck her face in and saw it!poor dear (lol)


proof that Jasmine and I got in too. I did snorkle for quite long slots of time, I was surprised that the slow waves - ok side bar - the waves in Cabo san Lucas Mexico were DEADLY - the waves here at Sharm were just rolling...even Lake Michigan seems more dangerous on a calm day...but those low tumbling and movement made me quite sick each time. I also didn't like diving very far to let go of Jasmine OR to be with fish bigger than me! But these are just some silly pics of us. Joshua would go down 10-15' actually! Rob went more like 30'!! snorkling!


a puffer fish!!!

Eagle ray - approximate span of 4'

photos do not do size, color or "awe" level justice!

6' + long fish - see the fins near the back?

exploring crabs of all sizes! Omnaya found the biggest - shell larger than our hands!



Davy-Joshua totally looks like he's doing TKD! ha!!

jelly fish bigger than our heads!

a lion fish - above it is the floating docks where you get in and out of the sea....he was by the ladder - PRAISE THE LORD - Joshua knows it is VERY poisonous, he chose NOT to go up that ladder!! but they did watch it - just the boys saw this and the ray and the jellyfish.



plenty of fish MUCH longer than Jasmine and MUCH beefier than me!!


parasailing for the boys - Jasmine too small but willing - Wendy too horrified and didn't even get in the boat! raise your hand if you're suprised by the latter comment! LOL


horseback riding lessons!






ice skating!

breathtaking sunsets



The rest is not kid-friendly....

I made lots of friends with Egyptians on holiday! I got a pedicure and a great foot massage that BROUGHT MY FOOT TO ALMOST 100% i even ran on it awhile today!!

all in all, it was even for the really horrible with the really oustanding.

It was 113-120 degrees. So stinkin hot, that it's difficult to describe! Rob has been here plenty of times and kept telling me it's even hotter than Cabo in the summer, and somehow it IS! the humidity and sun - KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had heat exhaustion after the first day and had to be VERY careful!!! We wore shirts in the water most of the time. Rob got sunburned and had to stay out of the sun cuz he couldn't take the heat thru his shirt.


I got food poisoning and we came home early.

The place was very European - people warned me, I didn't "get" it - it means it was mostly nude (wearing only flip flops and a thong, no tops not that the bottom covered much) and repulsive. The Europeans fly in on holiday and they are mostly rude and depraved outwardly. I never want to return.

Thankfully, Joshua was repulsed by their lack of modesty and not old enough to be intrigued PRAISE GOD!

So - there it is! The good, the bad and the really incredible!!

Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

Tanya said...

The kids LOVED the sea pictures. Davy was able to point out 2 specific kinds of coral. I thought that was neat.

HollyMarie said...

Wow, no kidding! The heat woulda killed me... LOL. The pics from snorkeling are soooo neat! Thanks for sharing!

Betty said...

I know you've always been nervous about scuba diving, so I'm so proud of you for snorkeling!!! WOO HOO!!!! GORGEOUS PICS!!! Joshua looks so comfortable underwater... kids are so amazing that way!!!

SO sorry about the yucky food poisoning and the rude travels... grrrr! and (((((((Wendy))))))))

love you girl!!!

Unknown said...

Looks interesting, ill be sure to check it out. Cheap property in Sharm-el-Sheikh