A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Family Tradition....

nope, this is not a Hank Williams Jr. drinking song, so please stay tuned and keep focused! ha ha ha!!

now you're all wondering why IIII know a drinking song, huh? oh well, get over it! ha!

Family Tradition has been to really do up teh 4th of July. We enjoy matching and specifically praying over people/situations/government and enjoying a home-town parade with small fair, tractor pulls......

this year was different.

I stuck to one family tradition of dressing in red/white/blue. I went to my Arabic class with 3 different kids pony holders in my hair in r/w/b and was wearing my flag shirt.

We live near the club for the US Embassy and it's all blocked off, someone there is keeping some family traditions alive tonight as well! Some very important someone's with all THAT security tonight!

The kids and I went to the yacht club. It was their first time, it was really special and I'm glad we did it, it helped today to seem more "normal" to us. The menu was all in Arabic, but I could speak enough w/ the waiter, he was very patient, spoke slowly using nouns only HA! thank you, sir! The kids had grilled fish, some type of Egyptian flavored rice. I had some type of chicken with sauce (mmm!) and we had 7 up cans filled with bees. I mean we "had" 7 up to drink, but we donated them to the bees at the table! ha!

We wandered the docks, sat at the end of the floating dock and watched.......peaceful....3 hrs of just...peace....

Here's a few moments I captured. Thanks for reading!

Joshua was going "Oh cool! way cool! hey, can WE buy a boat?" I found one I'm sure we can afford...here it is!



2 comments:

Tanya said...

haha, that's the only kind of boat we could afford too! :)

Char said...

I think we could afford the portion of the boat that's seen from above...but not the part under water :)

I'm super glad you're sticking with some family traditions today as you celebrate with us. Happy 4th to you & your family!