A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Just a July 1 Post of Pics



Jasmine has decided not to pose in her pretty outfits.......but I will not cease trying! And of course will share it with you all!

Today, the gardener gave me this flower. This group of flowers comes from ONE stem. The plant has 3" broad leaves that cascade down after shooting up approximately 3.5' then fall back down to the ground, really stunning! Then in the middle..comes a 5' high stalk with this on the top!!

The gardener gave it to me, I appropriately complimented the flower instead of him - HA! but just as I took it, a GIANT praying mantis jumped off it onto my hand and I embarrassed myself...

ok go ahead and laugh!

I'm screaching in Arabic "I don't like, very much, I don't like, very much" and the poor gardener is trying to get it off me (without touching me himself of course), the boab comes running...yelling at the gardener who is yelling back about what's happening...

you think the scene of me is funny, don't you?

NOW THINK CULTURALLY!! THE BOAB THOUGHT THE GARDENER WAS DOING SOMETHING BAD TO ME!

oh for heaven sakes! but it was all quickly resolved (boab - doorman) and we were all laughing very hard

AFTER the gardener got the big larger than my HAND (not just my palm, but entire hand) off my side of the street even!

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

Of course some of you know me well and are saying "of course he wasn't doing anything to Wendy, she'd beat the snot out of him" HA!

Reminds me of a taxi ride recently where I kept saying out loud to the kids "it's fine, the cochroach in here is dead, don't worry about it, it's dead, it's not going to get on us, it's dead"

As if they needed to be reminded for the entire drive there....which I kept my eyes panning the car for it's descendants! And yes, I kept all 3 of us on ONE half of the car lest any guts would touch us! HA HA HA!

Joshua at soccer camp. Next week every morning. Already after 5 days, he has MUCH more control of the ball, is much more concerned about control and direction than simply kicking it from one of the field to the other. I'm impressed with how quickly he's gaining some control!


above...at the end just after their match...in Arabic.....matsh

love the coach yelling on another team! ha!


they had to weave in and out of cones then do 5 pushups and repeat on the way back. They had 3 relay style races with 3 teams...Joshua's team won every time.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BLUE!! :)

2 comments:

Terri said...

Oh my goodness -- I laughed so hard at your praying mantis story! I can just picture the scene! But I must say I have never seen such a beautiful flower and have no idea what it is, but God's creation never ceases to amaze me! Love you, girl.

Siscos said...

Go, Joshua! Chase starts football for the Potter's House/Tri-Unity combined team next week -- we'll see. He's officially taller than I am, and has bigger feet (both of which he's VERY proud of)! I'm still not sure he's football-tough, but it will be good for him. As long as I can avoid any heart attacks or over-reactions, we'll probably be fine.