A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, February 25, 2011

The Heart of Egypt...

the heart of Egypt is the people!!!

So many foreigners are cautioned away from the people because the men are grabby and flirty and etc.....but really aren't all men capable of being like this in crowded cities? I don't find them anymore so horrid than walking in Chicago! There's more considerate men and women here tho ;)

Well, anyway their fears are unfounded when based upon an American comparison! lololol

Men are after all...men! lol

and wonderful creations of God!! I happen to love quite a few! ;) tee hee

Anyway - the heart of Egypt is the VERY poor people - like 80 million under poverty here? Well, 3ali whom I've been hiring....and giving food bags and lunches to his family daily.....they wanted to honor the volunteers at the church somehow - they are Muslim. They weren't sure what to do...they ask me how to do that and I said

F-O-O-D!

Actually, I said "mmmmm!!! akl!!" but it basically is food! lol

I invited some other volunteers, but they were a little nervous, except Mina (likely because he is Egyptian). 3ali walked to us.....and we drove in Mina's car.....me, 3ali, and the kids. We drove into these tight back-alley areas and had like 'red carpet service' - the whole community was expecting us!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are people who struggle to put food on the table from day to day...but they wanted to honor us! They didn't have enough money to feed everyone....so...

they served us in one of the "bedrooms" - it had different lacy things laying around on the different cots/mattresses. We enjoyed conversation...they told us what their mosque service was about and they had told their "leader" about how Christians had been helping them feed their family for 3 weeks now...and they told us they are so happy that foreign and native people here feel peace like they feel peace. It was 3ali, his father, his older brother and us 4.

The women and children waited outside the bedroom door and giggle ;) I felt honored. It was hard not to feel sorry for them, but I did my best...and all my Arabic flowed easily....it was wonderful!

The apartment housed 12 people. It had a kitchen the size of mine and 3 bedrooms and one bathroom. It was full of love, I felt so warm and welcomed!!!!!!!!

I have finally been to the heart of Egypt! And I plan to return there with food bags!! Tonight, the Lord moved in people's hearts here and I will be able to do more lunches in the next few weeks still! PRAISE HIM! and added 10 food bags to Sunday's supply (160 tomorrow, 50 on Sunday). 160 tomorrow go to African and Iraqi refugees who have lost their jobs and are now evicted from their homes :( 50 Sunday go to the church I told you about that i visited.

We had maaH-shi, some type of potato, liff (not sure what it was, something cold and spicey pickled), pepsi (bybsey lol), bbq chicken wings and other foods I don't know what they were. They even had purchased one bottle of bottled water for us to share so that we didn't drink tap water - they really wanted to thank and honor us...but it wasn't just for us 4 there...

IT'S FOR ALL OF YOU!!! YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT, PRAYERS, SUPPORT, DONATIONS!!! I told them about you all in America!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

When we take food bags there in a week or so, I'll take some photos of the children :)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

WONDERFUL!! You seem truly happy and at peace. You are where you need to be.

Char said...

I loved reading this post. I think you've found your calling while there. I'm so glad you've had these experiences & are able to share them with us. Continuing to send you much love, many hugs, & happy thoughts!

Steph P said...

Truely amazing Wendy-you've learned the language in a year, made frinds-more than friends, reached out with humility and love and been used "exceedingly great" by the Lord. Love "meeting and being with" the people through you! Thank you!