A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Farewell Friday

I never got to tell all of you about my mom leaving last Friday, hell broke lose here, I don't mean to be vulger, my apologies, but no other word seemed to give the right weight and emotion to the situation.

Thursday I was in such a funk, I felt like time just got lost in space as I tried to imagine going back to life without my mom. I've never shared my adult life with another adult in such long-term way, it was **wonderful**. I was up until 12:02 Friday morning because I simply couldn't sleep, I was reading facebooks, not posting or chatting, I felt almost numb with overwhelming feelings. I got off at 12:02 due to loss of internet, which I didn't realize at the time was when "it" all began.

We left the apartment at 2:33 am. It seemed weird to put my mom's bags into the elevator.....I wanted to take a photograph, but I couldn't think what would say my farewell best...so I decided to wait until we got home and photo her empty room...which obviously never happened.

The drive to the airport was relatively quiet. The kids snacking, us enjoying the beauty of the lights at night - specifically the Citadel! OUTSTANDING! There were strange disturbances on the road, but I thought nothing of it....until a bit later.

We got my mom inside, I told her where I'd wait until she waved us off....we waited 32 minutes. I called the sedan driver....2 rings and my phone lost coverage? He came and apologized for not answering, but his phone died strangely. Hmmm.....so I mentioned mine..and about the internet..and he turned the news on...after a few minutes, we left and he told me we were taking a long road home.

At this point, protestors were stationed all over the city and obviously no one knew if it would be peaceful or what would happened...we had to take a long way around to get back without hitting any groups.

I haven't seen my bed in more than one week, except with Joshua sleeping in it one night after he vomitted in his ;)

I have kept myself on the sofa, with the windows open...listening...praying..sometimes simply pleading and crying on my knees.

I see the vision of brother on brother after the police open fire and then the supporters...and I cry, I can't put into words the explosion of despair.....

The streets are so quiet.

We are safe. I am taking every precaution. I truly am sorry and apologetic for the worry and pain our presence here presents to you all, but I ask you some things....

What should God's church do in a time like this? Run like sheep when the wolf comes?

What one thing could happen that would surprise God and ruin His plan for me or the children's lives?

Who will feed the families I've been feeding every day this week with my blessed abundance when they now have no work?

When can I have such international peace bringing conversations on the streets and in my apartment building?

When did God say we must run in fear and hide and forget those who are less fortunate? He told King David when to hide, when to fight, when to serve, when to lead. And daily I ask if we should stay or go...and then I have come across a harvest opportunity....or feed another family......

Ayeman the taxi driver has made it his new found task to body guard me on the streets ;) The security men and neighbor keep eye on the kids in the apartment. And all men from all over, walk the streets TWENTY FOUR HOURS EVERY DAY with clubs and sticks to protect us!

All of my government friends were forced to leave. Only a few by their own desire. I have received calls, wishing they were here to build hope and peace for international status and just normal day living here.....

The men calling out greetings and slapping shoulders....is all come to an end and it's so sad, that I sobbed in the back seat of the taxi. Ayeman was worried to drive me home quickly, I then explained and he couldn't talk to me for awhile, I think he was also moved.

I truly am sorry that I'm causing you worry...but I can't imagine that for today, God wants us anywhere else. And if God changes my mind, I will go! I did leave everything comfortable to come here, right? I did it for His will! And now I listen....

The kids aren't scared, I've empowered them!! Every day we meet at 12:00 noon to pray..pray for the end of oppression, the end of tyranny here..pray for the Lord to bring to prophecy, the end of Isaiah 19!

I have Egyptian friends who walk the streets at night and call me with updates, tell me what the word is on the street. Rob's one boss, his wife called to tell me their car and driver is at my dispersal and they are encouraged that a foreigner would love the people and desire to encourage them...she asked why..I said...God has been gracious to me, how can I not pass it on to others?

Pray for angels to continue to surround our physical well-being! and our minds! and our hearts! pray for God to continue to show me the hurting and ways to help pratically and spiritually.

I love America! But this is the "people" I love! If i had to generalize a civilization, I'd chose this one.....they are welcoming (in general) and so sincere they are laid back in ways that used to drive me crazy BUT it's because they care! They sincerely want to know how each person is, what is new and how the children are...and they need answers and really care! And this s a town of MILLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine having a similar experience in Meijer ;) or Rivertown ;)

Those of us still here have chosen to stay. Others have children! We realize that to do God's will, we have to trust Him with our children's lives and our own in ways we may not have anticipated previously! As a Christian, I was promised hard times, persecution and even sickness and death thru no fault of my own!

BUT STILL I WILL PRAISE THE LORD! I WILL BLESS HIS NAME FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't pray us home.....home is in glory with the Lord ;)

Pray us STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you all!!

and truly am sorry for your worry and pain. I long for this to help your faith grow as well.....can you trust God enough to let Him take care of us? Is He a big enough God for that?

and if not - consider this....Kentwood, Michigan has more violent crimes, crimes against strangers and random acts of violence! And Detroit is STILL more dangerous than even the NIGHTS here!

(most of the prisoners armed and set free have been re-captured or turned themselves in, we had a mini-war 2 miles away with cannons and nonstop gunshots Mon night)

If you want to help the suffering here, you can give tax-deductible to our church. Or send money to my parents to funnel to us (when the banks open, we have no way to access more money).

www.maadicommunitychurch.com

low in the text is a maroon box for e-giving

Banks are said to be guarded and working again Sunday. Yesterday I fed 5 families in which the mother hadn't eaten in 3 days!! Their husbands are trying to keep their business going - but no one is out and about....they continue to work and make NO money! I overhear the conversations and give food......it's so much more than just local bread!!

IT'S HOPE!! Egyptians haven't had human rights...and acts like this show them they ARE valuable!! and I tell them so! I remind them God made them and sees them and loves them!! Please partner in that, giving thru the church is one option! You can make a note for it to go to help the needy in the community at this time :)

Thank you for listening.

In His Hands, for His glory,
signing out for now....
Wendy

3 comments:

Kim S. said...

Wendy - I am so encouraged by your post. With all that has been going on in my family - I know what you are talking about in being where the Lord wants you right now. I have had to give my kids safety completely to the Lord because I cannot control a mentally ill man (my Dad) walking around in the world.

I am excited to hear that with all that is going on, you are listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit. It is a beautiful place to be in! The Lord will protect us in the way he sees fit - it may not be our own way, but "He knows the plans He has for us."

Praying for your strength, your family and those around you. Praying that people will have open hearts to hear/see the Love you are pouring out on them is from our Savior! What beautiful lessons for Joshua & Jasmine!

Wendy said...

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
Our purpose in to Love our Lord and to Love people. I'm praying you STRONG.

Steph P said...

Your heart for God and for the Egyptian people is overwhelming. Thanks for sharing and I am praying for God to bless you and those around you with safety and peace!