A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Bob Goes to Giza

This photo needs some explanation ;) It was taken a couple of days ago. I am absolutely fascinated by these trees and have been simply unable to try to get photographs to show them to you - nor to figure out WHAT they are called!

Here I am in the branches. I know, you think it's a root system. Well...this tree grows and then it's braches - do their thing and branch out, then they drop "root systems" and a whole new tree grows THERE too and they are CONNECTED IN THE AIR BY ROOTS?! these trees are entire cities really! ok, small villages not entire cities. I wish I could show them to you! I understand they are unique to Africa, so perhaps those who have had the pleasure to come to Africa, have seen such amazing creations from God!!


ha ha - I have to tell you all that honestly sometimes when we get way out there, I do worry they won't come back HOWEVER, the people we work with over and over know I pay well above standard rates and I do not pay until I get home and we're all out of the car! ha!! So, it may seem freaky in photos, but I've got them by the wallet ;) ha!

The weather has been SO great! Today was the clearest day out in the desert. We had a great breeze that actually made locals COLD in the shade! (not me, I'm not "that" local I guess). The humidity was very low - actually our bread turned to toast in the last few bites of our picnic!

We are having a SUPERBLY FABULOUS time with Gpa Bob! Not only did Joshua and I need a vacation from school (way overdue - lol - 9 weeks of school down! hooray!! A's in every subject except math was a C). Not only did we need that break, but we needed to see Gpa Bob! What an enjoyable time!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GMA KAY! WE MISS YOU! WE HOPE YOU'RE HEALING UP IN N MICHIGAN!! WISH YOU WERE HERE! YOU'D HAVE LOVED THIS!! (excluding the horse and camel abuse)

Well, without further mumbo jumbo by Wendy - here's the great photos! I have hired a car and driver for misc outtings, today we had one of THE best drivers yet! We'll be using him for my mom's visit FOR SURE! as well as the owner who got Bob from the airport in the middle of the night HOORAY FOR HIM TOO!!










so clear, we not only saw Dashour and Saqqara but Giza looked quite neat from beside the pyramids as well!


above and below - the workers tombs and residences - Gpa Bob definitely enjoyed finding heiroglyphics around out here!



Cheop's (King Khufu) solar boat (museum)




ABOVE - the limestone blocks the way they laid atop the buried boat




No good way to "see" the smallest pyramid w/o trekking 1/2 mi thru the desert...we stopped at the roadside and took a short glimpse and photo.




4 comments:

Stephanie P said...

Hi Wendy,
I love the picture with you and your beautiful little girl!
I think your tree is a Banyan Tree, I think they are soo cool, wish I had one here! Check it out online-lots of pictures to compare and see if that is it! Thanks, as always, for sharing your trips and everyday life-love it!

Tami said...

Wendy I just love the pictures. The kids really look like they have grown. Miss you lots. Glad grandpa made it safe and is enjoying the time there.

Tami

HollyMarie said...

The pics in this post are just fabulous.. love that tree, the horse photo and the last couple of you and Jasmine and then Jasmine with the sphinx. So cool. :)

Betty said...

I agree the photos are just amazing!!! Such a blessing that Gpa was able to come and visit... the tree mystery was on my brain all weekend long LOL!!! very cool!

doing a happy little jig for you!!!

:D