A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day in Egypt...

brings me LOTS of love, gallons of sweat, PILES of smiles, broken water dispenser and wonderful gifts!!!!!

Jasmine made me a flower at school! Since it's an expat school and the teacher, Miss Nahed is an Egyptian by birth, married to an American lived in OH to raise her children then returned to Egypt....she knew to celebrate today! WOO HOO!!


Then there's Joshua.....bless his heart! He chopped up deli meats, cheese (gebna) and we had oodles of fun at a special lunch! He told me that today i don't have to eat all my food and I could even choose to just have chips if I wanted! OOH I LIKE THAT!

see the love bouquet he made me at Keniisa? (church)

Today is the hottest day here yet for us...it's quite humid (we are close enough to the Nile to get humidty off and on). While there's freezing temps in Michigan..I found out today that the back of my knees will ooze sweat down my calves while I walk (slowly) to get Jasmine to/from school today and myself too!

It is 107 and rising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The waterdispenser has gotten stuck in the "on" mode. We stood in the kitchen on an aseembly line w/ cups so as not to waste this VALUABLE COMMODITY! I might sell my diamond ring for drinking water today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANNOT let it just go to waste! Joshua found me a flat head screw driver and I pried it to "off" whew!

So at 107...I'm thinking..YES WE NEED TO BE IN THE POOL...

HOWEVER.........

LORD HAVE MERCY ON US FOR THE WALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~sigh~

Well, this might be the last you hear from me...I may be found alongside the road and eaten by wild dogs before making it back to the apartment.....

No matter how many Egyptians try to tell me - I **cannot** bring myself to drink the warm water here! bleck! But...today....I was drinking room warm temp by the GALLON I think! Sparty, you'd have died ;) but....when you're thirsty!!!!!!! ;)

So in Michigan, my nose hairs freeze, my eyelashes freeze, the snot sicles freeze hangin off my kids' faces...

here.....

today....my glasses BURNED the skin on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the metal gets SOOOOO hot, when I move just right, it BURNS me! I have lines to prove it! NO sweaty, burned pics, SORRY!

Back to apply sunscreen for the 4th time! Thx for handling my heated rambles ;)

I just have one more thing to say - is it hotter against the desert sand or the car exhausts going by? At this point, I just think IT'S TOO HOT!

praying EXTRA for our US troops over here today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and a few local notes before I sign off due to dehydration....

1. Egyptians do not use honey or sweet as a description for their loved ones

2. The military here has changed into white cotton uniforms and the low ranking in black ones are now out of wool and FINALLY into cotton! WHEW! I caught a group of them behind a big truck today dumping water on themselves ;)

1 comment:

Betty said...

yoo hoo, are you still there? you haven't melted into a puddle of your former self have you???? YIKES THAT'S HOOOOOOO-OT!!!!!!!

LOVE Joshua serving you that way... how totally sweet of him!!! God bless his big ol' heart!!!
Love Jazzy's little flower... she looks so pleased with herself ;) good work cutie!!!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY WENDY!!!!!
looks like it was wonderful!!!