A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Monday, May 3, 2010

A Glimpse at "everyday life"

Truly, who can complain when it's always summer, and an olympic size pool is readily available? Who can complain when school only lasts 4-5 hours instead of taking up an entire day? Who can complain when the sitter washes dishes while the mom goes to school? Everyday life is truly nowhere near what my fears tried to tell me before we left and the first few weeks here!

Rob brought his underwater camera from the US and he had a little fun w/ it yesterday. Jasmine, who screamed like I was killing her for every bath until at 3 we realized showers were less traumatic.....who would become anxious and rage-filled in lake or pool water of any depth....has really become a water baby at age 4! She jumps into 4 meters of water and no I didn't "miss" catching her....I'm just ready and waiting w/ my arms...because she insists on jumping right in w/o any life vest. But this momma INSISTS she only do it when we say so ;) Jasmine also likes to jump in ON me because "we go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay deep together". She got a hold of daddy's mask and even the life guards were cracking up!

Joshua is REALLY doing a great job diving!!! I tried to take a video but you couldn't really get what was happening! HA! So, here's a glimpse at everyday life. It's football, playground, pool...sometimes all in one day. We may spend a lot of time indoors due to the type of living conditions here, but we make up for it the rest of the day ;)

Joshua scares the lifeguards as much as Jasmine, because I won't be ready yet, but I'll give him permission to get in..he jumps in and swims off.....some of the lifeguards remember us day to day and don't freak out...sometimes (like this week) they jump up and almost jump in and I re-assure them he's fine! ;) He's swimming HALF the olympic pool in laps, I've seen him do FOUR back and forths nonstop....crawl, butterfly, crawl, butterfly, rotating on laps.....




5 comments:

HollyMarie said...

Greeaaat pictures!!!!!! How nice to have a pool like that so close. And wow, Jasmine is brave... and way to go Joshua! :)

The Dickersons said...

I LOVE these pictures!!!!

Stephanie said...

Love the picture of Joshua jumping in! Love all the desert picts too!
I know it's hard being over there, but you sure paint a pretty, fun and adventurous picture! I guess that is the Lord at work in all you lives.
Still enjoy reading your blog and praying for you and your family.

Betty said...

the water and the desert... opposites but truly both have their beauty... so glad you are enjoying all of it in your own special way.
SO great to see all the smiles on each of your faces... I agree, that's God at work!!! YAY!!!!
hugs girlie!!!!

Char said...

These pics are GREAT! I love the last one where you look so calm and Jasmine is ready to launch up to the surface.