A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Flower Box Stage 1



It is 105 degrees here. Whaleed speaks quite a bit of English and it's easier to understand him than most "laborers" here - I'm not being gross, just trying to make a distinction! I adore the men who work here! They adore my children and keep our building VERY nice!! ;)

Whaleed is 30 yrs old and today in 105 degrees...he lugged, 2 at a time, GRAIN SACKS full of rich soil up FOUR flights of stairs!! (laborers do NOT use the lift - elevators). Took him 13 trips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had 2 liters of our filtered water - he was stoked about that! and 16 oz of warm juice when I saw him get a little "unsteady" - gee, don't imagine he was OVERHEATING?!

So...first he brought up 20 some clay pots and broke them apart...then the dirt. Mumkin Badeen Bookra. Maybe the day after tomorrow, he'll return with plants. 2 red, 2 yellow, 2 green with white. No flowers. He'll plant my flower in the center and the rosemary at one edge easy for me to clip! HOW I'll get enough water to saturate the soil the first time is BEHIND ME!!! I'm thinking my mop bucket! Drats, the hose won't reach up to my outdoor window garden! HA HA HA!

what a mess to clean too - but nowhere near as dirty as when I arrived here, so at least I knew it'd clean "relatively easily" - everything was covered w/ sheets, etc...lots of laundry now!

it is 3:40 pm, we are heading to the pool! Rob is trying to find some grains for Joshua in Paris after sightseeing yesterday. My mom is making her first big trip out of the house today to visit THEIR momma's!

Thankfully, we have leftovers from last night, so no need to turn on the oven! whew!

Praise God, we have electricity today! So the air purifiers are running on full gear w/ all their sensors of "dust, pollution, bad smell" going off! ha!! AND THE WALL A/C UNITS ARE RUNNING FULL BLAST NOW THAT THE HOUSE IS SHUT UP AGAIN! WOO HOOO!!

THANK YOU ROB! I AM SO EXCITED TO HAVE A FLOWER BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xoxoxoxox!!

1 comment:

HollyMarie said...

Oooh, I can't wait to see the finished product! :)