A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Two Weeks of Day Camp for Joshua

Joshua has been attending a daycamp at a local international school here.

For two weeks (Sun through Th) he has had a busy busy day!! 8-10, building model airplanes; 10:20-12:10, science ; 1:00 - 3:00 swimming instruction.

Today was the last day for his day camp. The next two weeks he'll be involved in a morning soccer program. Jasmine's been in an all-day "play" program ;) She does art in the morning and they fill wading pools in the shade for the afternoon. Both kids have had a BLAST! Jasmine will continue.

While they do this, I am studying Arabic and taking my intensive course which...did not incorrectly advertise INTENSIVE is perhaps an understatement..but definitely the right word to keep it simple!

Today in Joshua's model airplane slot, they had flying contests. Joshua came in 5th out of 11, and the top 5 were all just 1 pt away from each other!!! The 6th and lower had very low scores, I found that amazing that the class could be split almost in half like that!!

Joshua built approximately 8 model airplanes the last two weeks.

In science, he has studied the planets (orbit, structures, atmospheres) as well as solar energy (he made a solar oven which he now uses to heat his muffins instead of the microwave) and a thermometer (which by the way nearly explodes when we leave the apartment since it's so hot outside) and a compass (which appears to work).

The first day of swim class (he is with 8-10 yr olds, he is only 8), he tested to be swimming with the 10 yr olds...he has been able to improve his technique and speed and also been allowed to jump "cannonball style only" off the HIGH dive! gulp! I was glad to see today, it is likely only 15' up! ha! He loves it of course!!

Here's some photos I took today to try and sum up his day camp! Thanks for looking!






for those who may still wonder - my foot is MUCH improved! I will likely need 6 weeks to be 100% but I am functioning probably at 75% already! I have not had any muscle spasms with nerve pain in more than 2 days now (3 nights woo hoo!), however, I am still unable to function w/o a taxi or my beloved friends who jumped in to make sure I didn't try to do it early ;)

Thanks for enjoying our journeys in Egypt! Thanks for continued prayers for my mom - WOO HOO! PAST HALF WAY POINT WITH RADIATION TREATMENTS!!! and thank you for praying for us in general - an expat in Egypt...not an easy thing...WONDERFUL thing! but definitely the hard stuff is REALLY hard. I hope I'm forever changed about what I really think is worth a complaint ;)

4 comments:

HollyMarie said...

Wendy, I can see how despite a wonderful experience you are bound to have moments and days of "homesickness". Continuing to think of you an pray for you and your family!

It sounds like the kids are having a ball in their camps/classes. Joshua's smiles can't get any bigger, can they?

I'm glad to hear your foot is healing nicely. :)

Char said...

Is the blue liquid in the bottle his thermometer? I can see why it would explode if so.....I think he needs a bigger bottle!

I'm super glad that he's having fun & meeting new friends and having these experiences. He'll look back on them when he's older with much fondness I'm sure.

I'm also glad that you foot is healing. Even though it feels heeled be careful on it. My dr. told me that it can take up to 6 months for a sprain to heal. So keep on exercising it!

Betty said...

Those camps sound like such fun... so happy they are there for the kids... there should be one for grown-ups too, huh? ;) all that serious studying takes a toll... you need some fun girl. Wish I could send you some (((((((((Wendy)))))))))) .

and can I just say HOLY COW, A SOLAR OVEN THAT HEATS A MUFFIN???? how cool is that!!!! (insert happy dance here!)

praying for your family in Egypt and the USA.

Stephanie said...

Glad the kids are having a great time at their camps! Ethan wants to have a paper airplane flying contest at Wed. night church. He would have loved building the airplanes Joshua got to build. Great Job coming in 5th Joshua!!
Wendy,you will be speaking Arabic in your dreams soon! Not sure if that is good or bad : )
You have to admit your tours to the Nile, pyramids and other sites are pretty cool. Way beyond anything we have here. I would love to visit the places you have seen! So thanks again, for sharing them with everyone!
We will continue to pray for you all, especially for the times inbetween the fun.
Stephanie