A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

First Trip to the Doctor (Doke-Tore)


Through the past two days, our wonderful children have showered me with such compassion, help, tenderness and general love!! I often had one reading to me or me to them ;) Coloring next to me and telling me made up stories. I had a grasp of the camera and had to include a photo of Jasmine. Joshua wouldn't let me take any because he's "really getting too old for all the cute photos"

HA!!

umm..NO YOU'RE NOT, BUD!

First, a couple little silly notes..then the doctor notes!

When we call pizza hut from home on Friday nights after church - they always call Rob "Meester Wendy" - ha!

Two days ago, the doorbell rang at 8 am. Rob had gotten in at like 2 am, he was still sound asleep. I answer the door...I see an Egyptian, so I speak to him in Arabic.

Good morning.

Good morning, Madam.

Captain Rob here?

Sorry, he is asleep. What do you want?

I am from **his employer**

at this point I giggle and switch to English ;) He was amazed I spoke Arabic and thought I was working here! HA HA HA HA HA HA!! I've been acused of being a nanny, an Italian and a German, now apparently a housemaid! ha! ;) I thought it very cute! He was very embarrassed....no need ;) But it did strike a funny bone for me!

Yesterday at 11 am, I tried to pass the soccer ball to Joshua during our little scrimmage together...and I used the outside of my right foot (a trick he's been teaching me) and well..I went DOWN on the right side of my foot, heard a horrible pop, landed on the ground with nausea and stars......

Still today it has been swollen and INCREDIBLY painful.

Beloved friends pitched right in! One took the kids, another hired us a Sudanese "guide" for the doc appt she made for us!

I have a severe sprain. But they did do x-ray's to rule out a fracture. Definitely no "cold breaks" he called it. I walked around the town with a sock only on one foot AND WEARING SHORTS! I know..I know..but trust me, I felt better about shorts w/ the x-ray too ;) easier than SHARING a used gown, thank you very much! Glad I thought ahead about that one, as it IS what was going to happen! Until I explained there's no reason ;)

The x-ray techs knew sefr (zero) English ;) As we stood in there unprotected, they pushed the zap button and I said "oh no worries, no need to ask, I'm not pregnant" And they kept calling me

Seer Wendy (Sir, but long ee sound, so not like a see-er). I'm usually "Mrs. Captain Rob" or Madam Wendy, but tonight I was Seer Wendy :)

I'll get x-rays in a week or so. For now, keep elevated and keep ice on it, keep it wrapped and KEEP OFF IT (bleck) and keep this cream on - scary about the cream!! I put it on and WHAM the pain was gone - EEK! I'll not use it on the kids in the future - MY WORD! but then again, I can get any antibiotic and any steroid at anytime just by asking ;) It's made in Germany and it has Aescin and Diethylamine Salicylate...I'll need to google those and see how scary it is ;) At least it's my foot and not my breasts..

by the way, my mom is doing GREAT!! and I enjoyed not having to give a health history because here, mentioning breast even in the chicken ordering or the cancer type arena makes people INCREDIBLY uncomfortable. So, while I used to say it nonchallantly, I am now a child and feel giggles come on ;) I'll never grow up!

Kurt, special note for you - lamb brains = lame brains - had me rolling on the floor laughing! GOOD ONE!!

We were to tour the cave churches of the Coptic Christians here (I'll give ya that info later) on Sat.....I'm cringing at the idea if we should go or not....$400.....maybe I should bring the Sudanese man with me!

Thankfully, he understood he could assist me on one side while Rob on the other, going up steps (why would they put in ramps anyway?). I was having flashbacks of yesterday calling Wy-el to get me from the club - DON'T GET ME WRONG - I'M THANKFUL FOR LEWIS' GENEROSITY IN AN EMERGENCY AND WY-ELS SINCERE CONCERN...

but due to culture to not touch me to help...goodness ;) I loved watching him try to help me, then take his hands back, come towards me, jump back - poor dear man could barely stand himself ;)

That's all my rambles for now ;) I promise to have something more fun soon! I really hope the swelling goes down and we can go Sat. I really think I'll go either way BECAUSE..I can always go back to the tour van if I had to - at this pt, it's too late to get my money back AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! Rob will be gone, I have invited Anas' wife.....maybe I should invite their son ;) Merwan is VERY tall and only 19, he could totally help me...but then again, he is Egyptian..maybe he "couldn't"

~sigh~

nevertheless

GOD IS GOOD!

ALL THE TIME!

Still love that in Arabic, you'd never say God is big..because size can be measured and compared...GOD IS GREAT! Greatness can never end, if it does...then He was never truly great!!

1 comment:

Betty said...

"Meester Wendy".... ROTFLMBO!!!!!! that's hilarious!!! really just killing me, but I have to say you are such a nut for going on that tour. Although losing the money would stink... hmm. not great choices there huh? ANYway, hope you found a way to see the sites and rest that foot too.

btw, SO stinkin sweet that the kids sit with you as you recupe!!!! you are one lucky momma!!!