A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Settling into Michigan




I really have not adjusted to the cold weather. I am trying not to be a baby about it, but frankly I am uncomfortable when I'm outside of my electric blanket! lol!!

I wanted to show you the new colors in the bathroom (oranges) and my bedroom (cranberry with cream). Obviously there's still some work to be done settling in, but really we're just having a normal day yesterday and today :)

I am so thankful for treasured friends emailing me encouragement and reminders of prayers! So thankful for the big sacrifices my parents made! I am so thankful for the friends who came alongside me hour after hour - Melanie (even tho my pants fell down a few times and she saw more than she wanted of me). And Julie for organizing meals! For all the people who have lavished us with hugs, notes, prayers, meals, and other support...THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I was riding today, I realized how much I missed just being out like that....but then the tears came (and made me EVEN colder)....because I just miss the people in Egypt MUCH more than the "things" here!!!!!!!!

Well, here's a glimpse of us settling into Michigan! School is set to start for us on Monday. Joshua is happier with his math and recess routine for homeschooling here than he liked in Egypt, so I think we'll be off to a good start!

I'm cooking on my new stove for the first time today! STONE SOUP! the kids and I enjoy cooking together so much....I miss the giant sweet carrts and more robust zucchini, but we'll adjust - at least I have my parsnip ;)






and yes, I am still using Arabic with the kids :)

and we'll keep it in our homeschool routine!! I don't want us to lose it! I heard a Sudanese woman recently and we spoke a bit together :) She was shocked and happy! Lovely woman, new to the US via Canada, via Egypt. She has no idea how much our little conversation blessed me! or how confused all the white people were watching it happen! LOLOLOL

No comments: