A story of a family from Michigan, USA who traveled to Egypt for work.....served, laughed, loved....thrived thru the Egyptian Revolution....and then returned to Michigan after the job ended abruptly due to economic conditions.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Garbage City, Egypt

All the time I've been here, I've heard there's this part of Mokatam (across from the Citadel, go see pics of it and you'll see the rest of the "hill")....I've heard there's this part of Mokatam is literally a city of garbage. I live in a city that is - well there's no words to describe the garbage here EVERYWHERE....so I thought..hmm...wonder!

WELL WONDER NO MORE!

buildings 4-5 stories tall, making roads JUST BARELY wide enough for ONE vehicle and people on bikes side by side! 30,000+ people!!!!!!!!!!!!

garbage gets dumped there (35 mill people in Cairo) from Cairo and they sort it...all day...in/under their houses....try for a moment to imagine JUST the laundry bottle amounts?! ok?! perhaps you can imagine!

and the depth of the poverty was so immeasurable, that I felt gross in attempting any photos. I kept the camera down.....

HOWEVER, in the "middle" of this city that within the last few years has been given gov't subsidy for running water, indoor plumbing and an elementary school.....is an AMAZING oasis!! The Cave Church

I tried desperately to get photos to show you the granduer of the "rock" and the beauty of the carvings.....but I'm positive I didn't grasp a portion of the "wow" factor!

Thanks for looking!




I wish to somehow explain the GINORMOUS size of everything!!!!!!!!!!!!




Haven't seen Hala in awhile - she did a GREAT tour for us today! A homeschool family and their visiting IL's came as well - REALLY amazing!! Adore Hala! We'll see her again in Dec for a tour with my mom


fabrics are cleaned and recycled - these women support themselves and their families! HOW NEAT!!


a store for the items made by the recycled fabrics

2 comments:

Stephanie P said...

The church is amazing! Very beautiful. You did catch some of the "bigness" of it by the numbers of rows behind you when you are stading inside.

Tami said...

Great pictures. I sent you a e-mail. Miss you lots.